DraftKings Fantasy Sports Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Apr 13, 2015.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Signed up yesterday and I'm already addicted. Anyone else play this or through FanDuel? Comments on winnings or strategy would be cool.

So far I've only signed up for low buy-in/big payout tournaments. I have reserved my spot in their 2.5 million$ U.S. Open tournament for 20$.

App is really well designed and has a very simple interface that anyone can use.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Seems like a big ponzy scheme to me. But here is hoping you win a lot!

3. GahLee

I researched it first. Looks like I can pull my money out whenever I want and without penalty. Either by check or PayPal. They get theirs, that's for sure but from what I've read, it's 100% legit.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

btw how is this not considered gambling? why is this legal, but to bet on football I have to transfer money to Guatemala?

5. GahLee

Loophole in the law. I think there are 5 states that don't allow it because of how their state law is written. When the online gambling act was placed in 2006 they took fantasy sports out of online gambling. Not sure why really.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

fine I'm going to create a "fantasy" sport where you get "points" for correctly picking football games. the more "points" you use in the sport the more "points" you can win.

7. GahLee

There are several other things that go in to it. Such as the prize has to be determined before the event starts. It's pretty ridiculous. You can look at DraftKings Wiki and I'm pretty sure it details how these one day leagues used the loophole.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Pretty sure the law considers fantasy sports a game of skill and sports betting a game of chance. You can quibble with that distinction but that's my understanding.

9. GahLee

That was part of it. It's bullshit but whatever, I'm going to give it a try.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the online poker should be legal because that involves a hell of a lot more skill than fantasy football. sorry not trying to derail the thread.

11. GahLee

Agree completely.

12. GahLee

So far I'm doing okay at NBA, MLB, not so much.

I really need Westbrook to go bananas.

Just got a live look-in on the Rockets game, I've got Harden on my team. He gets a rebound, an assist, a block and two points in about 45 second span. I was pretty happy.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree, but lawmakers don't

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I hope you win a shipload of money.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Never tried it, but from what I understand the trick to winning consistently is being able to identify "value" players that aren't popular household names but consistently put in the numbers. Because there is some sort of salary cap right? So instead of going for a Rodgers or Brady, you are better off going with a Ryan or Rivers with a good matchup.

16. GahLee

Yup. 50,000$ cap. Better players cost more money. A guy like Westbrook is going to cost about 11,000$ because he puts up crazy numbers. But a guy like Michael Carter-Williams costs a fraction of the price and because of how the scoring is set up he will put up serious points.

You have to fill every roster spot but they show you how much you're spending and how much money you're spending per player and how much you can spend per player.

My first team I had to go back and take lesser players because by the time I hit to the 7th and 8th slots, I couldn't afford anyone. From the guys who won in the contests I played, they had one superstar, 3-4 really good players and then 2-3 guys that a non fanatic wouldn't even know. But they score fantasy points.