The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 4, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. It's far too early to determine whether or not Cuonzo Martin will ultimately turn out to be a good choice for Tennessee. It is, however, proper to now acknowledge he's the wrong guy for the roster he inherited. A coach with his demeanor needs self starters. This group is filled with dogs and malingerers.
    2. Trae Golden looked like Tim Hardaway again tonight. Of course, it was the late in his Miami career Tim Bug. He made plenty of threes, but was moving around like a 70 year old man.
    3. Yemi Makanjuola should start the rest of the season. Coach Martin might as well see if the big man can develop. No reason to try and spare the feelings of veterans who have been almost universally awful.
    4. Cam Tatum should be given one more chance, then relegated to mop up duty. There's no purpose in playing a senior who is contributing nothing. It will only hamper Josh Richardson's development.
    5. Jordan McRae needs to decide if he wants to be an SEC level player or not. The skills and physical ability are there. If he chooses yes, great. If not, that should become an open scholarship to use in the Spring to fill one of the multiple gaping holes on this team.
    6. Ron Thulin and Dan Bonner used to be fine broadcasters. They have each fallen off the career cliff. Listening to them butcher the game tonight was akin to watching Ric Flair wrestle Sting at a flea market. Please folks, know when to quit.
    7. Josh Pastner attempting to show he was in charge by "breaking up" the altercation in front of his bench was high comedy. Coach Frodo has less control over his team than Gabe Kaplan did. He'll be gone soon. There are multiple coaches in C-USA who are going to eat his lunch once they get their rosters to their liking.
    8. Kenny Hall and Renaldo Woolridge should be forced to fight it out in practice for minutes, with the loser being benched for the next game. UT fans should not be subjected to watching both of them every night.
    9. Wes Washpun tries really hard. That's laudable. It doesn't change the fact he's not a high D-I level player. Tennessee must recruit another point guard immediately. Another season of this sort of play out top is unacceptable and unnecessary.
    10. There are some bleak days ahead for UT. Any win between now and the home game with Auburn, with the exception of the tilt at Georgia, would be worthy of a court storming. It's time to for the focus to become the future. The here and now is going to be hideous.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sigh...all of that was just too true. It never ends.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I agree with everything written here, especially the parts about Yemi and Richardson. No team is going to win much when your offense is runners and turn-around 20 footers, either.

4. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Would you have gone to a zone like most every other team has done vs Memphis?

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

No, because taking the easy way out will just encourage the pervasive laziness on this team. Guys would learn to do it my way, or they'd find somewhere else to play.

6. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Kenny Hall was abused by Tarik Black. Just an abysmal performance.

7. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I'm glad I was there to watch that ass raping first hand. The Memphis fans around me were just delightful.

8. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I'm not going to gloat for many reasons. I will say it was our best performace as a team this year. Yall have a team of misfit toys. I'm not sure its fair to judge cuonzo at all until at least next year.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Not sure Cuonzo is making the team any better this year through schemes, adjustments, or anything. I guess that's fine if it makes us better down the road, but it's tough to watch now. Either way, it's a ballsy move with a new AD in charge.

Jackson was on his back tonight more than Christina Saunders. And, just like her, at least 75% of the time it was of his own volition.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cuonzo is at least doing things with a purpose. I don't know if he'll work out, but I can at least see why he is doing what he is doing.

Guys, we have a shit roster and we all know it.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Only thing I disagree with is that ill take woolridge over hall 10 out of 10 times right now. Hall provides absolutely nothing.

12. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

This team got physically manhandled last night. I've said many times that I wasn't a fan of how Pearl's teams played basketball, but his redeeming quality was that his teams often played with great toughness in the biggest games--and particularly against Memphis. I had come to really enjoy the annual street brawl with our counterparts from across the state. They were never pretty, but always entertaining and certainly not lacking for effort. Last night was still a street brawl--but only one team was brawling.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

There needs to be a JaJuan or CJ Watson on the team... someone who isn't afraid to kick the hornet's nest a bit. Washpun has some of those qualities but just isn't near as good as either of those players.

14. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Not when you are trying to build your program on m2m D, toughness and being physical and it's year 1. This team isn't going to be good whether they play zone or man; IMO it is far more important to build a mind set for the underclassman and establish the non-negotiables of CM's program

15. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

What do you mean specifically? The half-court offense is much, much better than anything under Pearl.

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That's kind of what I meant, although I'm not sure I'm sold on making no adjustments for anyone. I can see the point though, and especially at this point, we haven't really accomplished anything this year worth changing things around to try and pick up an extra win or two. Also, it just doesn't seem to me that the team is any more than the sum of its parts, though a lot of that is tied to inconsistency from the players. So definitely something to be said for establishing a culture, but I would have liked to have seen some signs that we could outscheme some teams. Still time, I guess.

The halfcourt offense has been a pleasant surprise, although I'm not sure it will continue to click against more athletic teams in conference. But if you believe the writers, that's what we have practiced least (didn't use a basketball in practice for X days, 95% of time spent on D, 10 pound vests, etc.). Defense still hasn't clicked. Hopefully it will turn around when Martin brings more of his guys in.

17. germanicus

germanicus New Member

What half-court offense? And that's not a defense of Pearl's half-court offense. There's a lot of talk about a motion offense, but I haven't seen much evidence of any plan, good or bad.

18. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I don't have a problem with them throwing a zone in at times to take a team out of rhythm or change of pace. However if the players can't pick up the basics of m2m than they aren't going to be any better playing zone.

I am stubborn when it comes to defense and will play play m2m even when outmatched because I believe you can still out scheme teams without having to play zone.

I really think part of the problem is you have upperclassman like Tatum who just aren't good defensive players and likely haven't been taught what Martin is teaching and a bunch of newcomers who have certainly not been taught D in high school or JUCO most likely.

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

You haven't seen any change from running baseline flex cuts and passing back and forth at the top of the key for 30 seconds and then setting a high ball screen and jacking up a shot?

20. germanicus

germanicus New Member

So, they do different things for 30 seconds before jacking up a shot.