The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Jan 5, 2012.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Not sure how many have read the series, but the trailer is out for the movie.

Discuss.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The wife loves the series. The trailer looked good enough for me to see.

3. fl0at_

I didn't like the writing in the first book, but the concept was interesting. The writing improved in the second book, but the story lost its traction. Everything went to shit in the last book, but had to finish anyway.

As far as Post-Apocalypse series goes, there are far worse Sci-Fi movies and books, starting with L. Ron Hubbard and ending with... L. Ron Hubbard.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It's amazing how mainstream sci-fi and comics have become in the last ten years. Seeing and reading The Watchmen was a life-changer for me.

5. fl0at_

I had high hopes for The Watchmen, but because I never read any of the original works, I was rather let down. I never got into comic books, and I think, to date, the only graphic novel I have ever read is 300.

But yea, Sci-Fi books and comics, which a decade ago would have been nerdy and niche oriented are becoming more and more tolerable by the general community. I guess you can only do so many war movies before you have to use up another genre.

That said, the average age for Hunger Games will probably be near the average age of the Deathly Hallows part 2. Old enough to drink.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins really opened the floodgates of that genre. The 90s versions of that movie were pretty silly, but Nolan knocked it out of the park and, in turn, allowed so many movies like The Watchmen, Ironman, Incredible Hulk, etc. to have a lot of commercial success with a wide array of audiences.

Also the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter books/movies made the fantasy genre relevant in a way that it hadn't been since probably Star Wars.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is definitely a snowball effect. Culturally, I think people have been exposed to more diverse genres of entertainment with the internet than before it, as well. Some people (like my mother) never thought they liked sci fi or fantasy. Now she reads Twilight, Hunger Games, and crap.

8. fl0at_

Reminder, for all inclined.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

No one is forgetting in this house.

10. fl0at_

The film will require a good bit of climatic sound effects to counter the seemingly slowness of the film. I watched a few of the, I hope, just raw clips, and they lack the appeal of the theatrical trailer. In other words, it seems slow and forced.

To keep the pace of the trailer, I hope whomever edited the movie put in a lot of small background sound effects, otherwise, everyone is walking out of this movie a bit unimpressed.

Since your wife is no doubt dragging you along to this one, hopefully not at midnight, I hope for your sake the movie matches the pace of the trailer. Otherwise, you are in for a long night.

I guess we'll see. We are probably making the Saturday showing. Depending on the boredom, I might have to turn it into Mystery Science Theatre.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

We are getting too old for the midnight showing. That's a young man's game.

My guess is we will both watch the movie, just not together. I'll stay with kids while she watches it and vice verse. The movie was filmed all around us so I'm curious what the film looks like. I've sat through four Twilight movies and lived to talk about it.

The concept of the movie intrigues me. Reminds me of the short story "The Lottery".

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was lifted almost directly from Batman:Year One which was written by Frank Miller.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Mine does as well. Im not really interested however.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Putting "Twilight" and "crap" in the same sentence is redundant.

15. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Saw this tonight and I thought it was a wonderful adaptation of the book. It was a great movie with some really good acting. I enjoyed it immensely.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

A couple of girls I know did say Lenny Kravitz was an awful choice. Not really because he's black but because he wasn't effeminate enough.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah it's pretty obvious the guy was supposed to be gay, but i guess that would probably offend some as well.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So it's worth seeing?