Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not really, he's had first round talent in Russell, Ponder, Manuel and Winston.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

How does that relate to running a more complicated scheme than the standard spread team?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His offensive prowess has been built on talented qbs on stacked football teams.

Let Jamarcus chuck it or throw jump balls to Kelvin Benjamin isn't hard to do.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not arguing offensive prowess, I'm arguing complexity.

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

I believe what JG is referring to is that his is a Pro-style O. The multiple protections and formations he uses are a challenge to learn and (properly) excute according to (current as well as former) players.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

When you have Jamarcus Russell, Christian Ponder or Jameis Winston running your offense, it can't be too complex

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Manuel was the worst of the bunch, imo, and all were first round picks. Go figure.

Give Jimbo his due he knows how to recruit and prepare. Hell, (w/ their recent draft day success) FSU has become the NFL's favorite farm program. lol

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's still more complex than say what auburn or Baylor runs.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN · 22s23 seconds ago
    .@ESPN_Colin says "next dynasty in sports? Ohio State will reel off 3 to 4 national titles in next 5 to 6 years"

while I think that's ridiculous and won't happen it does make you start thinking if the playoff is going to make it easier or harder to win NCs. Personally I think USC wins at least 2 more under carroll with a college playoff. the playoff eliminates the risk of the shit the bed regular season game for a team that otherwise is the best in college football.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

have to think it makes it easier for bama, usc, ohio state and harder for Oregon, auburn, etc.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Harbaugh is going to end that Urban Meyer led dynasty in a hurry.

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Bad comparison, imo. Both Auburn and Baylor run fairly simple offenses. Briles & Malzahn are very good @ in-game adjustments making their O look better than it is

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Comin' from the man who used to spend his "Friday Nights (Lights)" covering Odessa Periman.

Somewhere Harbaugh is smirking

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

harbaugh has never been a spectacular recruiter though and Michigan does have SOME academic standards compared to ohio state. I bet ohio state will have more talent for a while.

15. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

He recruited and developed well at Stanford

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm talking about the ease of stepping in and playing well at the position. I'm suggesting it's easier at auburn than FSU. I'm not even convinced adams is going to be able to step in well at Oregon either.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he developed spectacularly, but his recruiting classes were never great. he did it mostly with 3 star guys with high end recruits at the oline, TE, and qb (though luck was a low 4 star out of HS). and they always significantly lacked speed at the skill positions, but that's more of a Stanford problem than a harbaugh one. I'm not sure harbaugh landed a single 5 star at Stanford.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A playoff definitely helps the best teams, and will penalize teams that play weak ass schedules.

19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

What do you mean by this?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Interesting. mark richt should be fired. (and jeff tedford should get fired again)

http://profootball.scout.com/story/...7&hootPostID=b690efcde97a7b0ba3b496a9464ac9bc

2015 NFL Draft Picks by City/Area
    1. Metro Atlanta (20)
    2. South Florida (17)
    3. Dallas/Ft. Worth (15)
    4. Northern Calif. (11)
    5. Baltimore/D.C. (10)
    6t. Southern Calif. (9)
    6t. Tampa Bay (9)
    8. Houston (7)
    9t. Mobile (Ala.) (6)
    9t. Central Texas (6)
    9t. Chicago (Ill.) (6)