The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 7, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. The walking through the crowd gimmick played out two years ago. Time to find something new for this regime.
    2. Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver were brilliant on the Anthem. However, it might have been more appropriate to save bluegrass for next Saturday.
    3. Ted Valentine is still undisputedly the biggest showboating buffoon in college basketball. Doug Shows, however, is closing ground rapidly on the top spot.
    4. Einstein the Parrot and a performance art piece to the ramblings of Al Pacino is a perfect match. That might be the greatest halftime in TBA history.
    5. Billy Donovan is the most overrated coach on the planet. Take out the two year lightning in a bottle run with The Rich Kids and he's Lorenzo Romar. Failing to press Tennessee's atrocious ballhandlers more today is shockingly incompetent strategically.
    6. Kenny Hall was simply fantastic today. Patric Young will be a 10 year NBA player and Hall outplayed him at almost every turn.
    7. Trae Golden made big shots and managed to keep Tennessee to keep from completely coming undone against the press. That's the level he has to play at for this team to be competitive.
    8. The perimeter defense was excellent against a team that looks outside for their points. Not many teams are going to hold Florida under 60.
    9. Jeronne Maymon has proven me 100% wrong in one respect. He's done whatever has been asked of him this season and has done so with enthusiasm. That's the mark of a great teammate.
    10. This may be an aberration, but that doesn't matter. It's a great win for Tennessee and gives Coach Martin at least one great memory in the bank for his first season. Let's just not go overboard and expect the same result the next two Saturdays.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Good post. I really agree with 10. I'm sure some dumbasses will be expecting us to beat UK now and will be calling for Martin's head when they thrash us.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

If Tennessee can guard teams as well on the perimeter going forward as they did today it will help them tremendously. They simply can't score enough to keep up with a hot-shooting 3-point team.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Einstein the parrot is still alive?

If I were Donovan, I would be very embarrassed. Martin brought a knife to a gun fight, and then proceeded to cut off Donovan's right nut.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly right. Martin beat a much better team today.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Those African Gray parrots can live 50+ years.

It seemed to me that maybe nobody played great, but most played very well, except for poor Washpun.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Kenny Hall played great, but nobody other than Washpun had a howler. That's what it takes. Cuonzo's offense has been pretty decent at getting shots. The problem is that we always have three people who aren't making any of their good shots.

And the defense was fantastic.

And I'm becoming quite convinced that Washpun is not long for this team. He's a good high-major defender. He's just a plain liability bringing the ball up the court. And I don't know that that's going away.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya. I'm glad he came and gave it a shot. Lord knows we don't have anything better behind him right now. But we can easily find someone better to take that scholarship.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He got the left one. Lower hanging fruit.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I doubt it. UK is pretty much amazing and people know this.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Gonna make a good necklace for SEC play.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Walker not even getting off the bus today was a huge help to us as well.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You overestimate the intelligence of the fanbase.

14. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

That was fun.

I couldn't figure out why Florida wasn't pressing more either. Tennessee looked like they'd never navigated the press before whenever it was used against them today.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know. It wasn't pretty, but they usually did just enough to break it.

16. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I kept waiting for one of those long, half-court passes they used to break it a few times to be picked it off as well.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

They definitely didn't use the "get the ball to the middle" approach I have been taught since age 5.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The first time or two, it got us. Whenever Washpun was in, it got us. But after that, we usually either threw a long pass to Cam or we threw it Maymon and let him dribble through everyone. Both solutions worked every time once we started trying them.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

as OP said... it's our fanbase. don't put anything past them.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't understand how they can hold UF to their lowest total of the season and a team like Oakland lights UT up, but I'll gladly take this win and view it as a sign of progress moving forward. This could be one of those wins where players realize what they are capable of. Not saying they will beat UF 10 times out of 10, but playing hard nosed defense will always keep a team in games.