Knox County Coaches Information: Wrong?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

While recently looking into doing some youth-league coaching in Knox County, I was pleased to note that they placed a tremendous emphasis on the Six Pillars of Sportsmanship approach. Essentially, it is intended to teach kids about concepts that are pertinent to their competing in a sport, but which also have larger life applications (trustworthiness, respect, etc.). But then I noticed something on the official forms that gave me pause.

See if you can spot my area of concern, and that which I don't think I could consent:

[​IMG]

Here's a link to the actual website, for those who my be wondering if this is a joke (it's not): http://www.knoxcounty.org/parks/pdfs/coachesmanual.pdf

P.S. - Yes, I sent a nice "heads-up" note to the site admin.

Attached Files:

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Donovan McNabb a caring teammate? Ask T.O. how he feels about that.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ugh. Also, did you cut it off or are there really only five compomnents of the Six Pillars.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

the last one copied and pasted:
    C itizenship- Pat Tillman, David Robinson, Steve Nash
    Teaching Idea- Picking up your and others trash around the field or gym. Help out on a community project as a team or organization.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Playin' by the rules like Bruce.

There's a swiperboy lyric in there somewhere.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The Ken Sparks one is a close second for the Ridiculousness Award that Bruce won in this article.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Obviously the Pearl one is outdated.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Now we are teaching kids to idolize Canadians?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

racist.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Respect Bear Bryant?

In Knoxville?

Really?

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

what are you looking to coach? head coach? i'd love to do an assistant gig coaching kids. baseball or soccer i don't care.

12. WM

WM Active Member

Wooden played by the rules?

13. Tenacious D

Dooz -
    Youth football. I don't know enough about either soccer or baseball to contribute.

I've also thought about refereeing some games, but won't for fear of ejecting about 92% of all parents.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

A penchant for ejecting/banning people? Sounds like a requisite skill to be a message board mod. Haha.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Well played Jo.

16. Tenacious D

Very well played, Jo.

And F you, NYY.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Using Pearl and Wooden as examples of abiding by the rules is like using Bill Clinton and Eliot Spitzer as paragons of marital fidelity.

18. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Its the easiest money you'll ever make. I have never done football but I've umped 5-12 year old baseball for the past 3 years and made the hell out of money. One of my teachers from high school wanted me to get into doing high school and maybe college umping, I may try it in the future when I'm out of college and the military.