Ron Zook

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by WM, Jan 8, 2012.

1. WM

WM Active Member

One of the many names that have been thrown out as a possible DC hire. For as much as we have made fun of him since his days as the HC of Florida, he would be a great hire for DC just on the recruiting possibilities alone.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I'd take him over Steele for sure.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I thought his last run at Tennessee ended on very bad terms.

4. Will he be bringing his buddy Jack Sells with him?

[uck fay] Ron Zook.

5. WM

WM Active Member

I think Faxgate would be in people's rearview by this point where it wouldn't be an issue. I'm not saying he is the best option but out of the names mentioned he would be running second on my wish list.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Zook is the one who was caught faxing TN playbook to Spurrier's office at Florida in early 90's, wasn't he?

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

BS, WM.

Once a traitor, always a traitor.

F' him.

P.S. - and by "F" I mean, "[uck fay]".

8. Jack Sells was faxing, Zook was receiving. A lot of the playbook had been faxed when a Kinkos employee noticed what it was.

UF beat us, and UT players said it seemed as if they knew what we were going to do before we did it. The fax incident came to light after the game.

9. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

Sells was fired by TN and faxed Zook some plays. Here is an excerpt from an article.

10. WM

WM Active Member

Looking for a hired recruiting mercenary for a year or two for a dead man walking coach. When names like Phil Bennett are being thrown out, you seem to forget details from the past.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  11. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

Exactly, I still argue with FL buddies about this. Most though are teblow era homers LOL and have no idea what I mean when I say this.

12. I remember the punching incident. It happened at Michael's on Brainerd Rd. The guy didn't just punch Sells, he laid him down. The bouncers were 'unable' to detain the Vol fan, and he was never identified nor charged. ;-)

Opening Up Old Wounds - Sun Sentinel

13. WM

WM Active Member

Zook would never be hired here again, just wanted to get the pulse of the board here. I wouldn't mind having his slimy recruiting prowess for a few years though. Rock bottom makes you do things you usually wouldn't do.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i mean, if i'm a coach and somebody wants to give me the other teams playbook...

now, as for the guy that stole it, he got everything he deserved.

15. WM

WM Active Member

Wow I had non idea Kinkos wasnt around anymore. A true staple of the 90's.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, let me guess, Majors was coaching, so it probably went like this; run on first and second, then throw if it's third and long. I'm sure the Gators had a crack team of mathematicians working game week to break the code.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

nah, they're around. they merged with FedEx.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is kind of what I thought. If your TE lining up a certain way gives away whether it is a run or a pass, you're already not exactly super secret in your play-calling.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

In the game in question Tennessee still had over 400 yards of offense. Despite how bushleague the whole thing was, I'm pretty sure Florida knew that Carl Pickens was a big part of the offense.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

And how is Zook a "traitor" when he was coaching at Florida? Am I missing something (was young)?