The 3 Radio Morons in Knoxville

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DownNDirty, Sep 8, 2015.

1. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

As someone who has worked in radio for nearly 16 years now myself (on the side as a hobby) I know how challenging it can be to be involved in the industry and cover a team or teams and have to try not to look like a complete homer all the while trying not to bash them too. And I should know better than to listen to these three but I was piddling around the garage yesterday and needed ambient noise. The level of stupid coming from Knoxville from some of the fans as well as the announcers is absurd. One gem made me want to beat my head against the wall until I became unconscious. The caller was, I think, trying to argue about the expectations of the team. Then banana **** and Jeff jumped in and scolded the fan basically saying that it was the "fans" expectations. Do the "fans" rate the team after the year and do the "fans" pay the coaches salaries? Something to that effect. Fans are always unrealistic but the expectations here aren't fan driven only. The damn fans didn't vote UT into the top 25 and the fans aren't on SEC Network, ESPN, and all over the internet hyping the team up because they are expected to be much better.

It's already the classic case of deflect things away in case they go bad. One of the jackwagon hosts said that we shouldn't even be upset if they go 6-6 or 7-5. Some days it's hard to be a Tennessee fan. I know that all fanbases have their rabid fans that see no wrong in the school but c'mon man. Jesus Christ on a cracker - if they go 6-6 his ass needs to be fired as soon as the final whistle sounds on that 6th loss. I don't think I'm unrealistic as a fan but I expect them to be much more well coached than last year. And if I have to hear this horseshit excuse about being the youngest team in football much longer the only "game" Jones will be playing is figuring out how to get my size 14 Nike out of his ass.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fans, in actuality, do pay coaches salaries. If the fans don't show up, coaches get axed.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

6-6 after two top 5 classes?!

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

At some point I'm going to lay out where a bunch of coaches were at year 3 on their stop, just to give a layout.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Expectations are bad y'all.

6-6 coming. The best coaching staff in America getting it done.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's usually conference, if not national titles

7. CardinalVol

Yeah, but I want to go across the board. May end up doing year 3 of coaches in SEC since 90 or something.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you kept it simple and did it by number of wins (third season, or total by end of third season), you might be able to find some interesting correlations between that and ever winning a championship. I vaguely recall doing something like that in 2010 but I don't think I posted it. Essentially, if you aren't winning a certain number of games by year 3 (total I think is what I found, not just that third season) you aren't likely to ever have success at that school. There are obviously some causal reasons for that, like getting fired sooner. Still.

9. CardinalVol

I plan on doing

1. Record of program year before they took over
    2. Where they finished after year 3
    3. Any other misc info if needed

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Gruden is going to have a stocked cupboard thanks to Trumpet Jones.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

12. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I can't begin to express the level of disdain I have for Doc, Jeff, and Heather. Said in another thread that I ****ed up and listened to them for almost 30 seconds yesterday before sobering up and changing the channel.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you have a couple of guys like alvarez and harbaugh that inherited such dumpster fires that they really didn't turn it around till year 4. but generally speaking if you aren't winning big by year 3 it ain't happening.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe there is a way to weigh it against what the record was the year prior.

15. CardinalVol

That's why I want to have a column for record year before they took over.

Example - In 2006, Stanford went 1-11.

In 2009 (year 3 for Harbaugh), they went 8-5.

Now, that's now winning titles, but that's a heckuva turnaround that shows great coach work.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I feel like that could be a misleading stat. A lot of final years for coaches are terrible because a toxic situation can result in terrible play, rather than being a real reflection of talent.

17. CardinalVol

I'll make sure to reflect anything as well.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and the prior 4 years before he arrived they were 9th and 10th in the pac-10 in recruiting every year. so he was left complete shit. I read an article on alvarez turning around Wisconsin and it was similar situation. he had something like 2 total players he inherited that played major minutes on that first rose bowl team. other guys the apologists like to point to are bill synder. but that's another situation where there was literally NOTHING on that roster. and also none of those teams are historical powers with the ability to recruit at the level butch did.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you could use prior recruiting rankings. of course that's a problem for teams like texas, tenn, and cal where a lot of those higher rated guys transferred or never amounted to shit.