10 Keys to a Possible Upset...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Jan 13, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

1.) Go at Anthony Davis on the block. He's an unbelievable weakside shot blocker. He's not so great one on one with a physical post. Maymon, Hall, Stokes (maybe), and Yemi or Miller have to really go at him in hopes of getting him in foul trouble. Otherwise, he simply eliminates any drives to the basket.

2.) Control dribble penetration. This is what UK's whole offense is predicated on. You control dribble penetration, you control Davis's ability to get putbacks and make them win the game shooting jumpers.

3.) Related to #2, defensive rebounding is an absolute must. If UK gets tons of offensive rebounds, we have no chance. #2 is critical to this; controlling dribble penetration and boxing out will be key.

4.) Don't let Terrence Jones come out of his slump against us by giving him easy looks. This means: let him stand out on the perimeter like a jackass and crank up threes. When he's in the paint, make him turn over that left shoulder to his right hand, and life will be tough on Jones in the paint. If we let him go over his right shoulder to his left hand, he'll have his way.

5.) Guard Lamb and Darius Miller from the arc. Allow everyone else to fire at will.

6.) Offensively, attack from the inside out as we have been doing the past two games. Get Maymon plenty of looks early.

7.) One of the schizophrenic duo of Cam Tatum and McRae has to show up offensively. Both of them can't just do nothing on the offensive end like they did in Starkville, or we will have absolutely no shot at an upset.

8.) Trae Golden must keep playing at his current level. Right now, he's playing as well offensively as any PG in the League, and that must continue tomorrow afternoon. That means consistent shot making and letting the game come to him. That's been the key to him getting out of the slump he suffered early in the season.

9.) Renaldo Woolridge, much to my surprise, is helping this team. He made a huge three pointer against Mississippi State. He'll have to provide the same type of senior leadership by taking a clutch charge or making a clutch shot for us to have a chance. I must note that Cuonzo Martin deserves a boatload of credit for getting something out of Renaldo. His attitude seems totally different. Kudos to Renaldo and the staff.

10.) Finally, we're just going to have to have some good luck. If UK plays well, our best won't beat them; however, early on, they've looked vulnerable on the road. So, let's hope for an off night from them, and more importantly, let's hope for an absolutely huge home win for Tennessee.

Go Vols!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nice post! Excellent observation about Woolridge and this staff. Been very surprising.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'd give my left..um, I mean, I really want to see a win tomorrow.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm normally the eternal pessimist. However, if either McRae or McBee can have a really good game, I think this UK team is just vulnerable enough to be beat on the road. And as Law said, we have to hope they have an off night, especially early. If they're clicking on all cylinders, we have a snowball's chance.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I married into a UK family. Beating them would give me fodder for the Dooley debacle. I still haven't gotten over that loss. But beating these bastards in basketball would make them forget about that football game.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That family tree fork at all?

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just their teeth.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Remember, your children also have your wife's families' genes. Scary, huh?

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

She must be about a 22 on a scale of 1 to 10 to put up with that nonsense.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Another note to this game is that the Wildcats have, amazingly, played only 2 away games this year and one of them was an SEC game. Auburn and Indiana, obviously, gave Kentucky trouble and Auburn is unbelievably bad this year. I think this year's version of the one and done's are not as good as the two previous versions, so they are vulnerable in those two aspects.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hear you. Which isn't to say their freshmen aren't good. But the previous two groups were friggin' ridiculous.

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The freshmen aren't what make them so good. It's Miller, Jones, and Lamb.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I certainly outkicked my coverage.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Only shot we have it to bring back Pearl.

JMO, IMO, JMHO, TIFWIW

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Arena is primarily blue thus far.

16. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Damn inbred bastards. I hope that UT fans show up and this team finds a way to knock their teeth, what teeth they have left, in.