Looking At The Schedule...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Aug 19, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Cuonzo really needs to be careful with Austin Peay and ETSU. Both of those teams will be perfectly capable of beating UT and the "Why Did We Fire Poor Bruce" lemmings will be out in full force if the Vols drop one or both of those games.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Seriously, who isn't going to perfectly capable of beating us next year. We have some talent, but it's young and playing in a new system. If we don't find a way to rekindle Cam and stumble into a miracle in the paint, we're up for a beating on any night.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Just as a point of interest, the Peay's leading scorer is an ex-teammate of Scotty Hopson at UHA. The folks in Hopkinsville tried like hell to package Scotty with Ty Edmonson, but Pearl wouldn't have it. The kid wound up going to St John's before transferring back closer to home after riding the bench for a year in NY.

4. hatvol96

There will be precious few nights in the upcoming season where UT isn't in danger of losing. The trips to Oakland and Charleston will be interesting. I'm just hoping they survive Maui without getting their confidence completely destroyed.

5. hatvol96

I'm going to be interested to see what the schedule looks like next year, when Martin will have a big say in what it looks like. My guess is that he'll still schedule tough, but you'll see Big Ten/Big 12 powers instead of the Big East. I do know UT declined to extend the series with USC. Can't say I blame them. 0-2 against a former coach is enough.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

frankly, the opposition doesn't matter. We have some serious holes.

7. hatvol96

No, Pat Kennedy left that program pretty well wrecked.

8. hatvol96

I think he's smart enough to understand one of the main challenges he faces this year is keeping the team from tossing the towel in when things get tough. He'll focus on getting a new mentality instilled in the program. He'll get that done.

9. WM

WM Active Member

So hat, in retrospect are you happy with the hire with what was out there and the circumstances that were in play?

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

We've got nothing in the post.

11. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

To me, it all depends on whether he can sign quality players. I do believe Martin has everything you look for in coach- toughness, discipline, defensive minded with a motion offense/ballscreens... just have to get players.

12. The thing I'm most looking forward to about this bball season is scalping tickets for next to nothing. I like what I have seen from Cuonzo to this point but this season is going to be ugly.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It always surprises me when I hear someone mention the BB team. I am apparently somewhere between writing them off and forgetting about them. I need to work on that.

14. hatvol96

No. Oklahoma was facing more substantial NCAA issues than UT and hired Lon Kruger. I'm not saying I don't like Cuonzo, but taking the cheap route doesn't make me happy. I'm not even going to get into a coach who is a pretty good friend of mine who would have walked to Knoxville from his current job and UT said they didn't want to "have to try and control."