Dormady to Play

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Oct 5, 2015.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Per Jones per hyams...

Looks like Dobbs is being sacrficed.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

it's not a sacrifice. Dobbs has not been able to throw the ball and isn't keeping it to keep defenses honest. We have to do something.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, fine. I don't like it, but fine. Maybe Dormady can play better. I don't like the timing, though. It just screams "can't identify talent, can't coach, am desperate."

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

You could be exactly right, but I don't believe that is what Jones is actually thinking for a second. He's just throwing spaghetti at the wall.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Definitely a hint of desparation in this one.

Just looks bad, IMO, when you are having to bench a kid that has been the face of your program for 9+ months.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a desperation move.

Dormady has a chance to be a really good QB. He's got a live arm and he's athletic enough to pick up a few yards with his legs when he needs to.

That being said, the OL is sieve and the offense is read option based. If you're not planning on Dormady keeping it 8 to 10 times, it won't work.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The "CEO" of the team

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I get that, but keeping him out there at this point is akin to keeping Worley out there and that decision earned our offense the read no option handle. We are squarely there again right now. I've given Dobbs the benefit of the doubt and assumed it's the staff, but he has some serious blame here. He makes no reads to run in the run game, can't read any defenses to come off of one receiver and misses guys badly on about half of his throws. I said this last year, but his running made him and our garbage offense mildly viable. If he isn't running it, he's way worse than Worley was.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Oh boy. Season is already in the tank. Let's put a true freshman out there and see what happens.

10. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I feel like this is the point where the team throws in the towel.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I know Dormady has a much higher ceiling than Worley but I'm afraid we're going to see the no read option again.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

BJ Coleman went in for Fulmer's last hurrah. Dooley made a final pathetic attempt with Justin Worley in his last game.

13. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Feels like Peterman vs UF. The offensive coaching is horrible. The play calling is horrible. What do you think a true freshman QB will look like in such a scenario.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

but the kid appears to give us a prayer of throwing the ball to get defenses off of us. As we are right now and Dobbs not running, he's pure liability.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I just don't want to kill this kid's confidence. The line is about to look much worse without a mobile QB back there...

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm not arguing. I get it. It's just not what you want to do. But if they are going to be hellbent on using a drop back passer, then maybe it's the right move, because Dobbs sure ain't one.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

dormady isn't immobile. He can run it more than well enough to qualify as mobile.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that's where they lose me. It's an entirely different offensive approach than what we're doing with Dobbs and what gave our offense an "option." That makes no sense. If we're completely bottled up because they want to go downfield and use the receivers to change the game, then I can see Dormady. With our OLine, the idea is stupid as all hell.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's see how much they have him throw it.

20. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I think Dobbs is handcuffed by this crap-scheme by Debord/Botch. I know we all thought that Bajay was horrible, but it at least seemed like receivers knew to look for Dobbs when he left the pocket. I have seen none of that this year. I'm all for being a run-heavy offense, but you still have to push it downfield. I hate it for Dobbs. He was being touted as a possible darkhorse Heisman candidate, and he's being given up because of scheme restrictions. I know his accuracy has not been good, but I think the coaches have told him "Don't screw up," and he's not letting it loose like last year. JMO, but that's what I see.