The Ceiling of this Basketball team.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by MaconVol, Jan 15, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I do not know about you guys, but I am very excited about the future of this basketball team. I think this team has a chance to be really good next year. Martin, seems to be a good coach who already has a signature win and two near upsets of superior teams. I think the future is bright for UT basketball.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Need a couple of other pieces, specifically a true PG, and this team can be really good.

3. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Dunno about next year, but it's hard not to grow more confident in Martin and the future with these last few performances. Still a few pieces away like CardVol says, but I am looking forward to it whenever they are put in place.

4. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Is maymon graduating this year?

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Maymon is still a junior. Cam Tatum and Renaldo Woolridge are the only two seniors.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think next year has some real potential.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

(1) teams win all the time without great point guards. Ask Derek Fisher.
    (2) if point guard is our biggest problem, what is the solution? If we're gonna be counting on a frosh PG next year, he better be a blue chipper. But are we even in the hunt for a blue chipper?

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

We have what's supposed to be a pretty solid freshman point guard on the line for 2013, but next year I'd imagine we're scouring the JuCo ranks for Bobby Maze to fill the gap.

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I continue to be amazed that teams in desperate need of point guards never look to Europe or South America. Look how well it's worked out Temple. Twice. The Aussies are producing good guards, too.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. hatvol96

Derek Fisher was also vastly underrated til he became ancient. His skills fit perfectly with the teams he played with in his prime. UT doesn't have a Kobe or Shaq for role players to play off of now.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

European kids aren't too hard to transfer academically, I would think.

12. hatvol96

Sam Cassell, Jr. is worth a look. Lots of people overlooked Todd Mayo last year, figuring he was riding his brother's name. He's been really good for Marquette. I'm a big believer in bloodlines being a pretty good indication of future success. Tim Hardaway, Jr. was also underestimated coming out of high school.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Will Chievous be any good?

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

ha, hat, we would get the exception to this with Swiperboy.

15. hatvol96

Hard to say. He's played so little basketball against good competition that it's almost impossible to evaluate him. I was reasonably impressed with what I saw in the couple of practices I attended.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree with that. Excellent on ball defender, excellent spot shooter and an excellent clutch player. Fisher's just a winner, and those guys always keep a spot in the League.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Euro guys typically go pro at an early age if they are any good. Maybe we could pick up a few strays, but I wouldn't want to get Enes Kantered. Just a totally different system over there.

18. hatvol96

You don't go there looking for big guys. You can find a guard here and there. That's all you need.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, I think the Euro kids are worth a shot, but it's tough to find a solid player who isn't wanting to go pro. Plus, you don't want to have a Christian Drejer situation. I think it might be more worthwhile to look at Latin America. Temple, UMass and others have dipped here too, with guys like Pepe Sanchez, Vazquez at Maryland, Diego Guevara, etc.

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Since I mentioned the ceiling, I think that after the Vandy game, it is an appropriate time to mention that this team just hit the floor.