This is what I was afraid of...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tmac61, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Tmac61

Tmac61 Has Credentials- Walter Effin Cronkite

Lyle now has a "signature win." If he reels off an 8-4 season record despite the early season struggle, he can spin that in an effort to retain his entire staff, which is a scary thought to all of us I am sure.

At the very, VERY LEAST, CLJ must upgrade this coaching staff top to bottom. We can not go into next season with the same exact coaching staff. There is no reason for Azzani or Mahoney to even be associated with an SEC school and you can make the same case for Debord and Jancek as well.

My worst fear is CLJ buys himself another season with this dead beat staff. One decent win doesn't change a whole season of underachievement.

What say you?

2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I am hanging on to the slim hope he gets 8 wins, realizes he is in over his head, and parlays that into a step down opportunity. It does him no good to risk getting fired in 2016. Not to mention, it's possible some of his staff shops for other jobs. So, it might be a great time for him to punch out.

3. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

What you read here and what you hear from the typical Vawl fan are very different. Unless anything else comes from the Crowder incident, he is here and he is probably only changing asst. coaches if he wants to (I don't see Hart pressuring him to do so).

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Which will lead to his demise next year.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If he's back next, at least two assistants will be gone.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah, I really think he's going to get rid of Azzanni, I don't know who else.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Doesn't have any prerequisite in his career. I'm not hopeful

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I'm sold on Butch and will continue to bleed orange with him. Never allowed the negavol outside clutter to kill my positivity. We didn't need the negavols on Saturday when we pulled off one of the biggest wins in the history of Tennessee football, and we won't need the negavols when team 120 wins the national championship.

- 89% of VN

9. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

All of em, including Lyle, can take a hike.

That said, matters very little in the grand scheme if he shakes his staff up. Lyle gonna Lyle

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Can't expect instant success when you're working new coaches into the process.

Need to tap the brakes on expectations, but have a special feeling about team 123.

11. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

132 imho

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Am a little afraid Butch might take NFL head job before then. Especially if Steelers or Patriots open up.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Quite confident Mahoney and Z will be gone one way or other.

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I feel a lot better about pulling for UT to win to make Botch more attractive to other teams than I do pulling for UT to lose so we can just pay him his 12 million and say sayonara.

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

That being said... If he gets to 8 wins and gets an extension my head is going to explode.

16. Tmac61

At the very least he must improve the passing game and secondary play. If he is going to stay I would like to see a co-offensive coordinator to work the passing game. Someone like Sonny Cumbie from TCU. On defense if there was only some way we could bring Terry Fair.

What I think will actually happen is Mahoney will be asked to "look around," Debord takes over oline and Sheridan promoted to full time staff.

It would be a nightmare but Lyle's history and tiny comfort zone, hiring only coaches he has previously worked with, suggest this is the route he takes.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I hope hiring a QB coach is on the to-do list but our luck he'll probably promote Nick Sheridan from GA to staff.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I truly belive Lyle could have went 5-7 and would still be here next year. This guy is here for a while. The AD doesn't care if we go 12-0 or 3-9.

19. Tmac61

Unfortunately there is substance to this...

20. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Meh. No reason to let it get to ya. If that happens, it will make it easier for me to just walk away. I'm really close as is. What sucks is we do have some exceptional young talent. I'd love to see them groomed over the next couple of years and competing for a natty, but that won't happen under these clowns.