La Cueva del Chango Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 18, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. An utterly crushing loss. When UT is sitting at home during the postseason, they can look at this one as the main culprit. That loss is all about the Vols' failures and has nothing to do with anything Georgia did.
    2. Anyone who doesn't think nepotism is insidious should be forced to listen to the broadcast of this game on a continual loop. The only thing worse than Dave Neal's babbling attempt at play by play is Joe Dean's vapid analysis.
    3. Mark Fox is a solid basketball coach. He's also a dead ringer for Joey Styles. I keep waiting to look over at the UGA bench and see him interviewing Raven.
    4. Tennessee wasted a tremendous halfcourt defensive effort by failing to get back on defense. Georgia wouldn't have even been competitive without the runout baskets.
    5. Being in the 20 turnover range against a team that plays containment defense like Georgia is just horrific. It stands as a monument to how terrible UT's ballhandling really is at this point.
    6. Jordan McRae might as well explore his transfer options. He can't get on the floor ahead of Skylar McBee and Coach Martin has two more wings coming in next year. It's just not going to work out for him in Knoxville.
    7. Cam Tatum is the poster child for Bruce Pearl recruits. The only thing more staggering than his total lack of instinct for the game is his unwillingness to go all out to make plays in big situations. Kenny Hall hipchecking a guy directly in front of Ted Valentine when he's on an illegal check calling rampage was also a testament to the basketball IQ Pearl recruited to the program.
    8. Skylar McBee played as terrible defensively as is humanly possible. Gerald Robinson is a good SEC player. McBee turned him into a young Vince Carter attacking the rim.
    9. Jarnell Stokes is going to be dominant next season. Once he chisels off the fat, he'll be the Chicago Years version of Charles Oakley.
    10. The game was over at 40-35 and UT managed to pitch it away. It'll be incredibly tough to bounce back from kicking one like that. Hopefully, playing the defending national champs will help with the process of regaining focus.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hat, what's your analysis of Golden for this game and for the season thus far?

3. hatvol96

He's an undersized shooting guard forced to play the point because his team has no other options at the position. He's forced into a situation where he's going to fail with regularity.

4. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

There for awhile I was concerned neither team would make it to 40.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I am fairly encouraged about things that have happened since SEC play. If I had to choose the Tennessee team earlier in the season that scored in the 80s but didn't play a lick of defense, or this current team, I'll take this bunch all day long. This season for me was about seeing progress and having Coach Martin's imprint stamped on the guys. I am starting to see (hope?) what it will look like going forward.

6. WM

WM Active Member

Speaking of Styles, his catch phrase goes well with my thoughts on when Swiperboy enters the game.

7. hatvol96

I can see that.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Mark Fox could also pass for David Wallace from the Office.

9. WM

WM Active Member

Good catch, a dead ringer indeed.

10. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Do you see CCM looking towards JUCO to find a true PG for next year? Moving Golden to SG could do wonders for this team.

11. hatvol96

I would certainly hope so. He did a good job of finding JUCO talent to fill needs at Missouri State. Hope he does the same here.

12. KingWebbsticles

Who would be the players on the chopping block to free up that scholly?

Miller
    Washpun
    McRae

13. hatvol96

I wouldn't be at all surprised if all three of those guys are elsewhere next year. This team could use a junkyard dog in the post, a point guard, and a designated shooter who actually makes his open looks. Coach Martin should be looking for all three.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Apparently Derek Reese can shoot it.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't take this the wrong way King, but: who gives a shit one way or the other? They're all dead weight going forward. If we find folks to bring in, let them draw straws.

16. KingWebbsticles

Oh I agree. I see scholarships as a business decision. If you aren't contributing to the Company, you can find another job.

This is the order I would suggest that they find another job.

If it were me, I'd axe all three and find someone in the JUCO ranks that could help the team. Also, McBee has done nothing to deserve a scholarship. I now have four spots open on my team.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I have some sympathies for Washpun. He could develop into a great on-ball defender and he has some wow moments because of his athleticism. But you basically lose all offensive threat with him in the game.

18. KingWebbsticles

He is pesky and can jump high. That is about it.

He can't shoot and can't dribble the ball up-court. That last part is pretty important for a PG.

19. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

You mentioned Stokes being a Chicago style Oakley next year, you think he can be that dominant on the boards?

20. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

From Basilio's blog:

"Gotta hand it to Keith over @ 8thmaxim.com. He made me laugh out loud half way though his take on last night's game. To ECW fans, two things. One ECW Arena is no more. Two, Poor Mark Fox is a dead match for Joey Styles. Great line Keith. Here are some other observations from last night. Well worth the click. Link"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012