Murray State

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Jan 19, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

19-0 gets you your own thread.

Never been a fan but followed them since Popeye Jones went there in the late 80s (his high school was the rival of my dad's school at the time and they had some epic games against each other), and can't help but hope they can go undefeated, even if I think they may struggle to get to the second weekend in March.

Easily the best chance to run the table of the 2 remaining unbeatens, which of course means they'll lose Saturday to SIU-Edwardsville.

What say ye?

2. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Hope they're still undefeated going into the season finale against Tech. I'll go check'em out if they're still sporting zero losses.

3. CardinalVol

I actually may drive down myself if they are.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Tennessee Tech will whip up on their ass.

Coach Sutton will wheel them to victory

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like the story. I hope they make it through the season as the lone unbeaten. What kind of seed would they pull? Maybe a 5?

6. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I laughed, but Sutton is no longer the head coach. He retired after last season.

7. CardinalVol

I'm thinking somewhere in the 4-6 range. Hard to see them climbing any higher than that. Quick search of an RPI (no clue how accurate) says they are 27. Can't see them getting any higher playing solely OVC teams.

8. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'm a student here at Murray State so its pretty neat for me right now. I think we'll end up losing a game though.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yeah, Sutton is gone. His assistant took over.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I wasn't the biggest Sutton fan.

11. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Our coach now is Steve Prohm. I'm sure after this year he will have quite a few schools looking at him.

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I think they're good against Edwardsville. Austin Peay and Tennessee Tech will give them the hardest time, but I think they have a good shot, even though I don't think they're that good.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

When I was in high school, I was on a traveling team that played a group of OVC guys in a series of games at EKU, and Jones was one of them. He was goofy looking and fat, and I think that made people underestimate just what a tremendous athlete he was. He had excellent feet, and although I played with and against a lot of guys from bigger name colleges, he was the strongest player I ever met on the court by some margin.

14. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

20-0 and the only undefeated team in the nation! Go Racers!

15. CardinalVol

I was either 8 or 9 when he was a senior, but i think my dad's school lost 4 games that year (and they were ranked #2 in state) and three were to Dresden. I just remember him being absolutely unstoppable inside. Watching single A post players try to guard him was funny, even back then. He was a great athlete and I think there were two other guys on his team that played college ball in baseball. I know for a fact one did, but there may have been another.

16. kidbourbon

Down by 6. 19 left to play.

17. kidbourbon

The streak is safe.

18. CardinalVol

St. Mary's at Murray State is a heckuva Bracket Buster Saturday game in a couple of weeks. If I lived in Nashville or west, I'd probably drive over for it.

19. kidbourbon

St. Mary's will win.

20. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

We're trying to get Dickie V to come call it. He has said he wants to come call a game here. He is annoying but it would be cool for us.