Movies I Just Don't Get

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Anything with zombies, werewolves, light sabers, vampires, the Easter Bunny and Seth McFarlan.

Star Trek / Wars / Planetoids.

Twilight.

The Might Duck anthology.

Muppets.

What am I missing, here?

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I watched the first Mighty Ducks a million times growing up.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My oldest likes the Muppets now. I watched Gonzo goes to space or something like that with him this weekend. I couldn't believe how much I remembered from it.

I can take or leave Star Wars, I never liked Star Trek and the only vampire movies I've watched worth a damn were the first Blade and Underworld due to Kate Beckinsale in tight leather.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think I've ever watched a Mighty Ducks movie from start to finish

5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I was nine and played hockey growing up, so it appealed to me. I watched some of it about a year ago and it's just terrible.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Basically, Tenny likes any chick flick with Matthew McConaughey and that's it.

7. Tenacious D

I know that I'm ribbing the guys in the Star Wars thread, but I seriously just don't get it.

Same with Twilight, et al.

And it's not like people just like these movies, they're wacko over them. And I legit love movies - a good movie is one of my favorite things.

I just can't put my mind in a place where they're even tolerable to watch, just to say that I at least experienced it.

As soon as someone says "zombie" or some shit, I'm just immediately out. Like, without so much as a conscious thought about it.

Avatar is a good recent example. Oh, aliens at war you say? Nope.

What's that? Vampires? Haha, no.

Completely automatic.

8. Tenacious D

I thought that he was better in Mud than Dallas Buyer's Club.

He was great in True Detective.

But my favorite thing about him is the impression the SNL guy does.

"Pot luck. Suppertime. And daddy brought it all."

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Anything by that guy that directed the Royal Tannebaums.

Also Mall Rats. And pretty much anything with Jay and/or Silent Bob. Except Dogma. And that one I can't remember, but was like Breakfast Club, but in a record store.

And The Princess Bride.

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

He was great in Killer Joe.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am that way with all things vampire. Cannot stand the concept, particularly the modern "misunderstood loner" angle.

So, perhaps there is nothing for you to miss, perhaps you just do not associate with it.

Now. That gladiator movie collection of yours is top shelf.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I really like a lot of sci-fi, but I never got Star Wars or Star Trek. The original Star Wars movies are fun. They're engaging and don't take themselves too seriously. Good. Cool. They aren't the movies that I go back to over-and-over and shape my movie-watching life.

Not over the moon for zombies or vampires, but there are some good stories using that vehicle. Give me good characters and (maybe or) a fascinating plot and I can jump on with a lot of different genres.

13. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Isn't the Twilight series geared towards teenage girls? I don't know if I'd classify that as a vampire movie.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Most Adam Sandler movies.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You put The Big Lebowski on this list, and we have a problem.

16. Tar Volon

I'm with you on Wes Anderson movies and Jay and Silent Bob movies. I would add Darren Aronofsky. As far as I can tell, he's just plain pretentious, not in any way good. Also pretentious and not good is Jacob's Ladder.

The Princess Bride was great though.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Empire Records? I like that one. I had the sound track.

18. Tar Volon

Seconded

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't get 70's-80's humor: like Animal House, Airplane, Cheers, etc. I realize that that reflects poorly, but I just don't think that stuff is funny. Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, Ben Stiller, and ilk are a completely different story. I laugh at them until I get the hiccups.

I'm not big on Star Trek/Star Wars. I will definitely see the new Star Wars but only once (same number of times that I've seen any of them.) Same with Star Trek. I don't really know many of the characters names besides the main ones. Same with LOTR and the Hobbit. Once is enough.

I don't get The Road Warrior/Mad Max stuff. But I do get the appeal. It's just not for me.

I don't like a lot of the superhero movies (couldn't stand the Avengers). The Batman Begins, etc. trilogy is an exception.

I weird

20. Tar Volon

Napoleon Dynamite. Does everyone realize that movie sucked now, or are there still people who like it?