Joe Paterno

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JayVols, Jan 21, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Reports that the family has been called to the hospital to say last goodbyes per CBS Sports. Sad ending to a storied career. If true, Godspeed Joe.

http://citizensvoice.com/news/source-paterno-in-grave-condition-1.1260837

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Wow. What a turn for the guy. I hope that we can get enough details of the whole Sandusky affair in time so that we can make a fair judgement of the Paterno years. I don't know if I've ever witnessed a steeper fall from a pedestal than Joe Pa...

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sports talk guy speculating that Joe being out of coaching is what's wrong because he no longer has anything tto do and his driveto live is gone. I find that kind of talk offensive. It's not as if others who have died from cancer would still be alive if they simply had a stronger will to live. It's not some sort of contest to be determined by perseverance.

4. TennTradition

While some diseases/conditions are not going to be overcome, no matter one's will - do you not think that some conditions could be overcome with a different frame of mind? Maybe it is bullshit, but I believe this. Perhaps its naive and unscientific on my part, but when it comes to the science of death, I don't hold a whole lot of confidence in our understanding.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I want to say we're losing a great coach and man, but I'm not sure on that last part. I want to believe joe knew nothing, but what a fall from grace.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It seems to happen so often that right after a guy who lived and breathed his profession retires, he kicks it.

7. JayVols

I have seen this many times. A couple has been married 50+ years and when one dies, the other goes very shortly after, sometimes days or weeks after. Coincidence? Maybe, but I didn't take that exactly the same as you Kpt. I don't see it as a smack on others with the disease. Maybe it was, but I watched my grandfather waste away rapidly after losing my grandmother until he met another lady to court. He perked up quickly. When the new lady passed to to a sudden stroke, he followed soon after. I may be way off and out of my mind, but I think he died as much from a broken heart as anything.

8. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

that's the way my great grandfather was. my great grandma died when i was four, 1 week later my great grandfather passed away

9. WM

WM Active Member

He just passed away.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You can't make cancer cells stop replicating with a strong will. A desire to fight never hurts, but it isn't going to save you frome stage iv cancer.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You are talking about psychological or emotional issues manifesting themselves in one's bodily health. There's plenty to that, but I roll my eyes when it is suggested that a good attitude will make a killer disaese just decide to stop killing you.

12. JayVols

Please change thread title to reflect this. Thanks.

13. JayVols

I agree that the disease eventually overcomes even the strongest will to live, but I think attitude and mindset (having something worth fighting for) can prolong one's battle.

14. TennTradition

I agree in a lot of ways. However, if you don't care to live, you probably aren't going to live all that long when faced with a serious illness. It just seems to be that way. He may not have survived the cancer anyway, but considering his mental state, he wasn't going to last very long, IMO. There are too many factors at play when it comes to length of survival...and even in some cases survivability, for me to scoff at the notion that the mind can lengthen things...and maybe to the point that other factors (treatment) have a chance to be successful. The brain is not understood well enough for me to dismiss the notion. Wanting to live might not save you, but it seems to me that not having the will to live very well might damn you in a lot of cases...

15. TennTradition

ESPN isn't reporting this yet...where did you see it?

16. WM

WM Active Member

Cbssports was reporting it as fact. A family spokesperson just said he is still alive.
    It's the DC search all over again.

17. TennTradition

That's weird. I went to cbssports.com looking for confirmation as well when you posted that and didn't see it there either.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

When you do something for that long, it becomes your life. My great grandfather took care of my great grandmother for years when she had Alzheimer's. When she passed away, he died less than 6 months later. His life was taking care of her, so once she was gone, he didn't really have anything to "live for." I think this seems similar.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

But he's dying of lung cancer. That's not something that happens because you retire.

20. WM

WM Active Member