Is it too early to be giddy about Stokes?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I've seen a million players come in and play well initially, then have teams figure out how to play them. However, I'm getting the distinct sense that we have quite something on our hands in Stokes. Kid looks a little lost and tentative at times, yet just posted 16 and 12 on UConn. At some point, he's going to mentally get where he is physically. I try to remain realistic about players, but I can't remember being this excited by a freshman this early since Jamal Lewis couldn't figure out the blocking schemes.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Looks like the real deal. If Martin can just find a real PG next year, we are an instant tourney lock.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

No, the kid is a revelation

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Seriously, I completely expected this kid to have flashes of talent, but mostly struggle with rust and being not quite ready. He appeared a little like this against Georgia, then closed strong and then today. The best part is we for sure get him next year and him being undersized may not make him a surefire early entry. I keep thinking Byron Houston with this guy, which I will definitely take.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Wait-and-see approaches are for cowards. Kid is real.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I love it. His running hook is sweet and his touch from 17 is remarkable for a guy of his size. I figure he will hit a bit of a wall at some point this season, but I see big things down the road from Mr. Stokes.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Really needs to build up some endurance. For all his talk, his personal trainer kind of shit the bed on that.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That's definitely a limitation at this point. I like to think that will be corrected, but it is what it is at this point.

9. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

No. Best get for UT in YEARS!

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Too often as UT fans we have held our collective breath and waited for something bad to happen. Let's just enjoy this kid and have fun taking in everything he's doing on the court. Then we will let history judge.

11. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I am stunned how well he has done... Totally changes our program.

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

As I told some folks earlier today, had breakfast with a couple of friends who are NBA scouts. First question they asked me was how good is UT's strength and conditioning guy. I told them I thought he was good. They said that's all is holding Stokes back from being a dominant player.

13. WM

WM Active Member

With what you see now in the floor, how long do you think he is here before he declares? I think we get another two full years.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Thick, wide, and physical. Reminds me a little of Corliss Williamson. I think he could be a dominant player at the collegiate level

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would be very thankful for that. I could see him exploding next year and having no choice but to go.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think its a tall task to get any high school player ready to play in college with so little time. I did see Stokes jogging down the floor a lot so its definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. Once he gets in better playing shape he is going to be a recking ball.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Also there's a difference between working out and playing shape. Guy hasn't played ball in a while. It does bode well for a guy to play like he did against such a big front like UConn's in only his 3rd game in a long while.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

To be fair, he's only been on campus two weeks.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't think that was a shot at Stokes or UT's conditioning as much as it was just saying he'll be dominant when he is in better shape.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012