The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 21, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Elektra has apparently changed a great deal as a label over the years. The Farm, who did a nice job on the Anthem, appeared to have very little in common with The Doors.
    2. The presence of Wayne Chism and Chris Lofton in the pregame video was a great touch. UT has too often lost touch with their basketball history. Hopefully, that doesn't happen anymore.
    3. A thought hit me as UCONN came on the floor today. Jim Calhoun is the best coach ever to appear in a regular season game in Thompson Boling Arena and it's not really close.
    4. That was a fantastic defensive effort. UT was in position and set to guard on almost every possession.
    5. Jeronne Maymon's limitations were shown again today. It's tough for him to handle taller guys who match his strength. That said, he still made some crucial plays.
    6. It's mindboggling that Jarnell Stokes and Andre Drummond should both still be playing against high school/prep competition. Imagine being some 6'4" kid assigned to guard them. Big fun.
    7. You could see a whole lot of Gene Keady in that win today. Lots of things come and go in college basketball. Defense and toughness never go out of style.
    8. Josh Richardson did a great job on Jeremy Lamb. The UCONN star scored some points because he's a great offensive player. Richardson made him earn each and every one.
    9. I love dogs. I don't have anything against frisbees. However, seeing the same dogs catching frisbees show UT has run out there for what seems like the last 20 years is dismal. However, seeing the Tennessee family rally around Pat Summitt made it the best halftime of the year.
    10. The last three Saturdays have been great stuff in TBA. Today was a true team victory. With the exception of Wes Washpun and Dwight Miller, who showed exactly why they never play, everyone contributed. Now, the next step is to take that act on the road. Free throw shooting and ballhandling have to improve for that to happen.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Good stuff, but, to be fair on #10, Washpun had a nice steal on Napier in the first half. I big time agree on Richardson.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I enjoyed calhoun just standin over by himself staring into space for 45 seconds when he called the to when we went up 34-27. It was priceless.

Also, I love ough big boy ball, but the officiating was awful.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Looked to me like UConn's bigs are mostly just big. Good defensively, but not exceptionally skilled on the offensive end.

5. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

#7... Truer words have never been spoken.

6. larry1949

larry1949 New Member

"3. A thought hit me as UCONN came on the floor today. Jim Calhoun is the best coach ever to appear in a regular season game in Thompson Boling Arena and it's not really close."

Jim Boeheim, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, Nolan Richardson, Eddie Sutton, John Calipari and Bill Self might be considered at least close.

7. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

I just [uck fay]ing laughed at that shit. He caught lightning in a bottle 2 years in a row. Billy won't win a [uck fay]ing thing the rest of his career at florida.

8. mmmjtx

mmmjtx Member

I get more out of your report than anything else I see. Thanks for posting after each game.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Agree. It was my main motivation for finding this site.

10. CardinalVol

Just find a true JUCO point guard, move Golden to the 2, and this team is a tournament team next year.

I really hope they can put it together for the last 12 games and put together a run for the NIT. They probably need 7 wins, and that will have to included a road game or 2.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

RE: 7.

What a credit to Coach Martin. This is exactly what I was calling these guys out for in December. They look like a completely different team right now. Even the recent losses had nothing to do with toughness. I'm thoroughly impressed with their progress in a season that could have gone to 10-20 in a hurry.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Throw out Donovan and Calipari.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If those guys are considered close, Bob Huggins and [penis] Bennett are on the list.

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Donovan is shit, Calipari is closer to that level than he is for sure.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think Pitino's in the discussion. That said, Calhoun would have to get the edge.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Calhoun wins over all the guys listed above. If Pitino is top 3, to me that shows the gap between Calhoun and the next guy is pretty decent.

17. CardinalVol

Not worthy of it's own thread, but pretty neat UConn's radio guy said TBA was louder than he's ever heard a Big East venue.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a bit larger than many Big East venues, isn't it?

19. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Uconn's off-campus arena in Hartford is a pretty good size I believe. The Dome is obviously a Dome so it's not going to be too loud due to the size. uhh...

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

St. John's plays most of their games at MSG now. Georgetown plays all of their games at the Verizon Center. Carrier Dome is the largest in the country. Nova plays many games at Comcast Center. All bigger than the Tommy Bowl.

When TBA is rockin' it's rockin' though for sure.