Novak Djokovic

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Dude is absolutely on a different level right now.

Discuss.

2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

BPV and OWH follow tennis a little, but I'm not sure we're going to get much convo here in tennis, at least yet.

As for your statement, it's insane. You hear the cliche' all the time, but Djoke really does have the switch he can turn on and just go balls to the wall and no one can touch him. Will be interesting to see how the late rounds come out. The Nadal/Fed semi possibility might be the match of the tournament.

I know you're not into the women's game anymore, but I'm really excited to what Ana can do against Kvitova tonight. Ana has yet to drop a set and Kvitova got off kind of easy last round with Kirilenko retiring. If Clijsters ankle holds up, she's gotta be the odds on favorite, but I'm pulling for Ana and Woz.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like ND a lot. My favorite player ever was Goran Ivanisevic though, so I am fond of Yugoslavians.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

No such thing as a Yugoslavian, these days. Maybe there never was.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The same could be said of Serbs and Croats, though, too.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't really care for him. Really wish Fed or Raf would get back to dominating. The most fun was when it seemed like those two met in every final.

7. kidbourbon

Why don't you care for him?

I'm a huge Rafa fan, but I have to give Djoker his props. He's taken the play to a different level entirely.

I'm hoping Rafa will get back to dominating. Don't hold your breath on Fed. Dude is 30. Tennis is a young man's game. Like Running Back's, the shelf life on tennis players is short.

8. kidbourbon

It appears Novak is also winning at life.

ristic-ao12.jpg

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

4th set from Nadal yesterday was insane.

10. kidbourbon

Nadal is in good form. I like his chances.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Feds forehand laying down on him was a big deal. I didn't like him without that help. Fed taped a truckload of easy hammers that he doesn't normally miss.

If Djoker plays like he did against Murray, Nadal will house him.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

wow. epic final.

13. kidbourbon

I keep watching it.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Joker's playing well. I don't think Fed is going to get passed Nadal in a best of 5, but for some reason, he seems to play Djokovic well every time. So, I can see Fed getting a Major this year if he doesn't have to go through Nadal to do it.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Fed totally went away with what works against Nadal. Hammer the forehand to Nadal's backhand until he can open up the court for the forehand up the line. Every single time he went to the Nadal backhand, he lost.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So is Nadal going to get Djoke at Roland Garros or what?

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think so. It's becoming mental between Nadal and Joker. I'd give Joker the edge on any surface.

18. kidbourbon

I think Roger Federer will end his career with 16 majors.

19. kidbourbon

Has Federer ever found something that works against Nadal? I mean, the first time they ever played Federer was #1 in the world and Nadal was 17 years old. And Rafa beat him in straight sets....on a hard court. Rafa has owned the guy from the word go. If they're playing a tennis match outdoors, smart money is on Rafa.*

*Outdoors, Rafa is 18-5 against him.

20. kidbourbon

Did you watch the Aussie Open final? That wasn't mental. That fifth set was a dogfight. I actually think Rafa outplayed him overall in that 5th set by a smidgeon. Both guys were playing at an exceedingly high level, though. It was one of those matches where it was evenly matched, but somebody has to win. Like, for example, if the ball bounces a little differently then maybe Federer wins the 2008 Wimbledon final against Rafa. This Aussie Open final was just that close, if not closer.

2011 Wimby Final? Yeah, Djoker was in Rafa's head.
    2011 US Open Final? Yeah, Djoker was in Rafa's head.

I think Rafa officially exorcised his Djoker demons in the 4th set of the Aussie Final. Djoker may still have the edge against him just because Djoker is the best player in the world right now and has arguably the best return of serve in the history of the game*, which plays against Nadal, whose serve has never been a dominant part of his game. But Djoker won't own him in 2012 like he did in 2011.

And if (when) they meet in the final at Roland Garros, smart money is on Rafa.

On grass and hard courts, Djoker has the edge against everybody in the world. On clay, he has the edge against everybody but the greatest clay court player of all time (Rafa, of course).

*Agassi is also in the conversation.