Most overrated NBA player?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Jan 19, 2012.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Having watched Blake Griffin about 5 times this year, I gotta go with him. He struggles on offense to create his own shot, seems very hesitant when defenders back off and give him the 17 foot jumper. Isn't patient whatsoever when in isolation and seems to try and create a SportsCenter highlight way too often. A great dunker but overall a below average finisher when in close to the basket, given his unreal athletic ability. He rushes too many when inside. Still doesn't know how to play the pick and roll game, even with the best pick and roll player in the NBA now on his team.

Defensively, he's overly aggresive and practically falls for the shot fake every time when defending on the perimeter.

I do think that he will obviously develop some post moves and there is no way he cannot develop into a better pick and roll player with Paul as his PG, but as of now, he nothing more than a supremely talented athlete who ( upon watching him in the games I've seen this year ) can look lost on the court when they aren't running.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Hard to say a second year guy that averages 21 and 12 and shoots in excess of 50% from the field is overrated. Also, i don't think he's touted as being a great player. He's really just touted as being an amazing athlete, which he is.

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

do ya'll think he will be on the trading block if Dwight goes to the Clippers

4. GahLee

He is as hyped as about any player in the NBA right now. He gets his stats, no doubt, but he is far away from being a good basketball player. He will eventually develop some basketball skills. I would guess that at least 33% of his FG attempts are dunks, so his FG% is scewed, also gets a ton of rebounds cause other than Reggie Evans ( new signee ) he is about the only guy on the team that can get them.

Hype vs reality, he is overrated, just my opinion.

To you Snake, I don't see the Clippers getting Howard and even if they did, Blake isn't going anywhere.

5. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Kevin Love.

Kevin Durant only because people act like he's the best player in the NBA.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Carlos Boozer, and it's not close. Carmelo Anthony is in the process of making a serious push for this title.

7. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Never been a big fan of Amare. Haven't paid much attention to the Knicks (I know they're stuggling) so how is he doing this year?

8. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Griffin won't last long if he continues this

[video=youtube;hyXeeHcaGR0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyXeeHcaGR0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I disagree with both of these.

10. NashVol11

...care to elaborate?

11. GahLee

Durant is the leagues best scorer, can score in every way imaginable. All Love does is get 25 a night with 15 rebounds, shoot a very high percentage from 3 and FT line...has gotten better on the defensive end as well.

12. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Member

Never heard anyone over rating Boozer... Only thing Boozer has accomplished is a Gold medal & career avg 17pts per gm & 10rpg. Isn't over rating a player, "over praising"... Who is ever "Over praising" Boozer, seriously?

Melo? Maybe... hard to overrate a player in the NBA averaging nearly 25ppg, 4x NBA All-Star and a couple of Gold medals...

13. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Boozer is over-valued based on the amount of money teams (Jazz, Bulls) are willing to pay him.

14. NashVol11

As far as rebounding, passing, getting open/creating his own shot, and playing defense, Durant is severely limited. He's pretty much a scorer and that's it.

Love is a pretty terrible defender.

15. GahLee

Melo is overrated, always has been, he is not a good defender at all, only a decent rebounder for his position and size, below average passer. Doesn't have the athletic ability to get to the rim as much as the average SF in the NBA. Is a below average 3 point shooter. All in all, he has a good mid-range game, but is a volume scorer, that is his only value really and he has to take 20 plus shots to get those 25 points.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Melo's a great offensive player who plays no defense. He also takes very bad shots at very bad times. Boozer is like 6'9 275 lbs and plays like he's 215 lbs. That's why he's overrated in my opinion.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If anything, Kevin Love is underrated, in my opinion. Kevin Durant is the best pure scorer in the game right now. Not sure he's overrated either.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The son of a [itch bay] was on an Olympic team and got max money despite the fact he's never been anything but a complimentary piece anywhere he's played. That's the definition of overrated.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nuggets fans would tell you Melo is very over-rated, in terms of helping a team win.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Kevin Love is what? He's working on a max money deal and he's a 40% shooting power forward who can't defend and through whom no offense can run. I don't get how he is underrated. His rebounding earns him way, way to much credit.

He made a dagger 3 to win a couple of nights ago and that had to be a busted play. There is no way any coach was looking for that option.