Romney's Likability

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Jan 26, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Mitt Romney Battles Likability Deficit - WSJ.com

People admit he's smart, admire his success, and appreciate that he is a family man.

Yet, people don't like him.

Does it solely boil down to the fact the guy is rich and people are jealous? If not, what is it?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He looks a little too slick. Something about him just seems dishonest.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think kptvol hit the nail. too slick. typical rich white dude is how he comes off. obama's class warfare will work against romney. though i doubt the same people who buy that bullshit actually would vote for him anyway.

4. CardinalVol

I get what you are saying, I'm just beyond letting that influence me anymore.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

too slick has to be it. it's the hair.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

he should buzz his hair

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Envy is probably a major factor, in some for or another.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I remember a time when we admired success, good looks, being well-dressed and well-spoken. It is part of the nostalgia we feel toward the 1950s. It's -- I think -- part of the allure of shows like Mad Men. But there has always been a current of American politics that resents? distrusts? that segment of the population or makes them out to be dandy boys. (Jefferson used this attack on John Adams, for example. Andrew Jackson did it to John Quincy Adams). Part of the distrust is probably healthy and as American as apple pie. But a lot of it is stupid. Does anyone really believe that Newt Gingrich or Herman Cain are "more" like red-blooded Americans than Mitt Romney? They're all cruising in similar circles these days.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fair point, jie. Obama has more in common with Romney than I likely ever will with either of them.

10. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

One of the best points of the Adams biography i just finished was the great irony in the Jeffersonians hurling insults at the 'aristocratic' Adams while championing their 'man of the people.'

11. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

He is not very intellegent although not stupid. The ideas he chooses to promote are usually awful and out of touch. He himself is out of touch with common people and problems. He is a flip flopper. He has generally done what is easy and not what is necessary in his life. He takes credit for things he real did not have much to do with like the Olympics.

I find it far more preferable to have Obama in office until 2016 and have an open election on both sides then to get in bed with Romney.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you don't run a fund like that and that well if you aren't very smart. i don't agree with a lot of his politics, but i'd bet his IQ is higher than obama's.

13. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

There are plenty of guys who run funds who or more sales and less brainiacs. They hire the best and brightest out top B-schools to handle that part of the business.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't realize we elected people off of intelligence.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You don't get put in that high of a position if you are a sales guy talking out of his arse.

we don't. generally it's who is better looking.

16. CardinalVol

Or best orator.

17. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Droski not being rude but not true. I went to Goizueta Business school and have many very smart friends who work for guys who run funds private equity or Hedge and they are VPs now. They are the brains. Guys with contacts or sales skills or both or all of the above generally run the fund.

CEO types in many business have their title by nepotism or charisma type skill sets not IQ.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eh. We're getting into generalizations that can't hold true.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Tossing out your education still doesn't change the fact that you're simply stereotyping Romney. He's most definitely a very smart man whether anyone likes him or not.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

If Jew is saying he thinks Romney is an empty suit, I can see why one would think that. But he isn't a dummy.