Something I learned last night

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by CardinalVol, Jan 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Got to see Inky Johnson speak last night. (Side note - if you ever get the chance to hear him speak, do yourself a favor and do it.) He was describing the play when he went down. One part of it (other than injury) stuck out to me.

We were playing quarters coverage.........against Air Force.

2. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

That tells you all you need to know about our great coaching. I'm not a big Dooley fan, but I would still rather have him right now over keeping Fulmer at the time. By the way, you are correct about Inky. He is awesome and is about the nicest person you will ever meet.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wasn't the injury at the end of the game when Air Force was trying for a game winning/tying drive?

4. CardinalVol

It was, but still.......Cover 4? Other than the wheel route out of the backfield, they had no deep thread.

I think he said there was 1:58 left.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Uh....doesn't their name offer some strong indications that this was in fact the correct coverage?

Sincerely,
    John Chavis

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Have any of y'all read Inky's book?

7. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Anyone know what Xavier Mitchell's up to these days?

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I knew Xavier a little bit and the last time I spoke to him he was wanting to get involved in teaching and getting ready to get married. He was still in Knoxville as of two years ago. Great guy.

9. CardinalVol

Another fun fact about this game. At the time I went to church with a guy whose brother attended and played for Air Force. He and his bro were down on the field that night and got to go back into the AF locker room post game. The Air Force coaching staff said that they could not had asked for a better/easier defensive scheme to run their offense against, and they said they were shocked that we never adjusted out of it.

TIFWIW