What Could Have Been.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 27, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The Herb Pope profile in this week's SI reminded me of what would have been a dream scenario for UT hoops. Tennessee could have hired Bob Huggins instead of Bruce Pearl. Had they done that, here's a snapshot of what UT's roster would have looked like in Huggs' third year: OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley, Bill Walker, Herb Pope, Tyler Smith, Jamont Gordon, and JaJuan Smith. Not too bad.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Christ.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The team you have just laid out is a final four team. Without question.

I'm a big fan of Huggy Bear.

I haven't read the article of which you speak (I don't get SI). If Tennessee could have hired Bob Huggins, then why didn't Tennessee hire Bob Huggins? He was a proven commodity. A sure thing.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Too much of a "history" iirc.

5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

That's depressing.

JaJuan about the only guy already on the roster in '05 that you could see lasting under Huggins? (Aside from Lofton. Obviously limited elsewhere, but that kind of shooter...)

6. hatvol96

The then university president, taking his cues from the idiots at Parker Executive Search and John Currie, was convinced that Huggs wouldn't have projected the "image" he envisioned for UT. He should have spent more time concerning himself with what image his alcoholic wife projected for UT when she was berating some of the school's biggest donors at functions.

7. hatvol96

I just think Lofton would have transferred to Louisville. He was a hard worker, so he could have certainly played for Huggs if he chose to stay.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Details, details, details............

9. hatvol96

This thread is ripe for a move.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

done. although you could've done it yourself...

11. hatvol96

I fear I'll become drunk with power if I begin to exercise moderator powers.

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Because Mike Hamilton was the athletic director.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Exorcise*

14. hatvol96

Actually, Mike Hamilton wasn't the problem. Had he been left alone to make the call, he probably hires Huggs.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

So was Currie at Kansas St. when Huggins was there? Or after? That could have been awkward.

16. hatvol96

No, but let's just say he and Huggs had a spirited conversation when West Virginia and K State played in Wichita this year. Frank Martin had just won his 100th game and they were having a ceremony before the game. Currie asked Huggs if he would present Frank with a commemorative game ball from that win. Huggs said yes, then told Currie exactly what he thinks of him.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Funny. I think Huggs isn't the only person who would like to tell John Currie a thing or two.

18. hatvol96

Frank has essentially cut Currie out of the process. He's made friends with the university president and most of their major boosters. He's completely insulated himself from Currie's silliness.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

As much as I wish things would have went differently back then, at least we aren't repeating that mistake and have hired a coach that is more than a salesman.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Could certainly see that bringing Tennessee its first Elite 8, Final Four, and National title in the same year.