The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 28, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. I'm considering starting a podcast and/or braille printed edition of The Postgame Report. That way, the three imbeciles who officiated the West Virginia-Syracuse game today won't feel left out of the fun. If any of those three work another game this season in a major conference, it's an embarrassment to college basketball.
    2. Holding any major conference opponent under 50 is an accomplishment. Tennessee was almost flawless on the stop end of the floor in the first half.
    3. One of the negative byproducts of UT's inability to handle and pass the ball with any effectiveness was on display tonight. Tennessee's big men beat Auburn's posts down the floor all night. The perimeter players simply didn't have the confidence to hit the ball ahead. Of course, there's a good reason for that.
    4. Towson's long basketball nightmare is over. Congratulations to Pat Skerry and his team on breaking the longest losing streak in D-I history.
    5. Jeronne Maymon and Jarnell Stokes dominated the interior. The only negative is their continuing struggle to make the correct pass out of the double team to the perimeter. When they are passing to each other, post to post, they're fine. When they're trying to hit an open shooter, it's not very good.
    6. The UT wakeboarding and paintball teams are national champions. I guess we can attribute that to hard work and the fact Mike Hamilton never had anything to dom with their programs.
    7. Jordan McRae had the best stretch of play he's had in almost two months. Of course, he then threw the ball away 3 times in roughly 55 seconds. He just can't get it going with any consistency.
    8. Skylar McBee was sound. Playing against a team that couldn't really attack his defensive deficiencies probably had something to do with that.
    9. Just when I think UT can't surprise me with their wretched choice of halftime "entertainment", they leave me speechless. I'm not sure what an eight minute live infomercial for a pay to play preschool program has to do with college hoops. Simply awful.
    10. The objective now should be to get out of Tuesday with some dignity, then win the next two and get back to .500. Sure, you play to win in Lexington. I'm just saying you have to be realistic.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No comment on the anthem? I thought it was as good as I have heard in some time.

Auburn is not a good bball team at all.

3. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

What was worse tonight, the halftime show or Cam Tatum?

4. CardinalVol

Halftime show. Not even close.

Even my wife (mom of a 2 year old) said it was the worst one she had ever seen.

5. hatvol96

I'm not big on someone using the Anthem as a vehicle to show their vocal "range."

Barbee needs one more recruiting class to have a decent SEC roster.

6. hatvol96

UT pretty much has to play Cam Tatum, due to their limited talent on the perimeter.

There are a million options available to fill the 15 minutes between halves. They chose quite possibly the worst tonight.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hat, you don't see this as often because you attend the games, but there is something I've noticed while watching the games on TV.

For almost the entire season, Cuonzo has got seemingly all the "coaching" publicity in the games from the commentators and producers. He has such a slam dunk of a story: 1) Raised poor in East St. Louis, IL to no father, arguably the most dangerous locale in the country; 2) Played and learned from a great mentor in Gene Keady; 3) Was also a great player to boot; 4) Worked his way up the coaching ladder the right way, with hard work and due diligence; 5) Survived cancer; 6) Plays and coaches a "hard-nosed" style, something the pundits love to bring up.

If this guy can truly coach and develop players, he just has such a great narrative to bring to recruits and their families, and the media doing a lot of the work for him. He could truly be a home run hire.

I try to stay grounded on these types of things -- it is a business and all -- but it's just something I've been thinking about.

8. CardinalVol

If you are a soprano that can actually hit it then I don't mind.

I still chuckle people wanted jeff lebo as coach here. He left that program with nothing.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If McRae can get some consistency in his game, he could become a very good player.

10. hatvol96

I'm confident he can coach and develop. My only concern is whether or not he can get the kind of talent that good coaching and development can make competitive with the Kentuckys of the world. I'm optimistic so far.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

For other television viewers like myself, did it really say that our first win in school history was against the Tennessee School of the Deaf?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The officiating team in that WVU-Syracuse game is beyond redemption. They need to be done. It isn't like that was a hard call to make there at the end. Anyone with functioning eyes could see it was an obvious goal tend.

13. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Yeah. It also said that we hadn't held a team under 40% FG since the 60s? Surely I missed something on that one.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Rucker is currently on twitter crediting McBee with holding Doron Lamb to 4 points and Frankie Sullivan to 5, as if he is solely responsible for it.

wesrucker247
    Vols' Skylar McBee, who held Kentucky's Doron Lamb to 4 points earlier this season, held Auburn's Frankie Sullivan to 5 tonight. Whoa.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  15. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Rucker has been a McBee apologist pretty much since day one all the wya through his two year shooting "slump."

Rucker: "McBee is a fantastic three point shooter. He is."

"Rucker, he's shooting about 28% from three in the last two years."

Rucker: "Don't care. I watch practice. Do you?"

"No, I watch the games, and he sucks there."

Rucker: "Do you have a radio show like me? Scoreboard, bro."

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wow. That looks like a Griffith argument.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, Crompton was a great QB in 2008 and I don't want to hear differently from any of you dummies that didn't see him practice.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

i tweeted at him about that McBee crap. Said i thought it was Tatum that guarded Lamb most of the game. He never responded to me. Guess I'm not important enough for a man with a radio show to talk to.

19. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

My god. Rucker is a pompous ass. He has no problems responding to the imbreds of the fan base on twitter.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It certainly helps to hear things like "The Vols have a star in Cuonzo Martin" from commentators. Since this will be the first season since 2004-2005 that Tennessee is going to miss the NCAA tournament, it's great to have people talking him up so that people don't see the sudden drop off as a giant coaching failure.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012