The current bowl selection process is unjust

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Dec 7, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

How are 5-7 teams getting selected before 6 and 7 win teams? That should not be possible. Why are the only 2 mountain west bowl teams playing against EACH OTHER? Why is 9-3 Utah in the Las Vegas Bowl, with worse PAC 12 teams in better bowls?

This isn't right and should be corrected by next season.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

All about money.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure it would be more just for my company to pay a bunch of money to host a bowl just to have some committee tell me I must invite Akron and Troy.

I've always been a fan of more and more free college football around the holidays, but now we've seen it go too far. Need to trim a few of the lowest tier bowls. No reason a 5-7 team should ever have to be considered.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Right. 6-6 is pushing it. 5-7 is just dumb.

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

There maybe a few too many bowl games out there

6. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Either let every team play bowl games or cut these bowl games in half. I think it's either all or nothing.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"Everybody gets a bowl"

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

yep and the bowl committee and its sponsors have the final say once the potential participants are laid out.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I say cut them in half, screw Lyle and his big bowl game bonus.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well if you don't consider a 5-7 team, what I complained about doesn't happen.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The issue I'm complaining about is the opposite. 5-7 teams should never, under any circumstances, get a bowl bid over other teams. Nebraska is the one getting a participation award simply because they travel well.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what worse team is in a better bowl than Utah?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

From the Utah camp's perspective, only Arizona and Arizona State have worse bowls. Even still, they would trade with Arizona State for a fresh opponent (keep in mind Utah has played BYU many times in recent history before joining the Pac 12, and that Mormons hog all the tickets to the Las Vegas Bowl).

Teams with more losses in bowls Utah coveted: USC, UCLA, Washington, Washington State. To a lesser extent, even Cal.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

UW is in an at large bowl, so not better. So is Cal. WSU is better than Utah. USC obliterated Utah. UCLA beat Utah.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like I said, they'd rather have UW's bowl and opponent than the one they got. WSU, USC, and UCLA all finished with more losses.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the las vegas bowl vs byu is a lot better than the heart of dallas bowl vs southern miss.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's probably true, but they're sick of playing in the West against non-P5 teams.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I've always been more football the better, but this is getting out of hand.

The bowl names are getting outrageous too.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

southern miss is a non power 5 team and almost all the pac-12 bowls are in the west.