Indy, put your money where your mouth is

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cotton, Jan 3, 2016.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You keep saying 11-1. I think the ceiling is 9-3. By default, you are guaranteeing us the east. So here's the proposition:

1. A dinner bet on UT's regular season record in 2016. 11-1 or better, you win. 9-3 or worse, I win. 10-2, no bet. To make matters easier, I think a gift certificate to the restaurant of the winner's choice should cover things. PM me an amount.

2. If UT wins the east, I'll change my avatar to a picture of Butch Jones. You can even pick it out, so long as it falls somewhere within the reasonable realm of somewhat decent taste. If UT does not win the east, your avy says, "I'm not as smart as I think I am." East winner is defined as the team that represents the east in the SECCG, and avatars stay from from when east representative is determined until the kickoff of 2017 season.

I figure I can't lose. If I win, I'm dining at your expense. If I lose, then it means Tennessee has a playoff type season. Also, I figure I will win.

What say you?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you lose you have to eat the meal with Indy. Four courses. Maybe a nightcap.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Ice House at Sab's for a night cap.

4. cotton

If he wants to enjoy a lovely evening in Western Kentucky--or even Nashville--that's fine. I figured the logistics might be difficult to arrange.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I thought the gift certificate was a reasonable compromise.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Anyone just want to buy me dinner? Maybe see where things go...

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

You should be forced to eat with him in person. Otherwise your bet really had no down side

8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

This is a sucker bet. West Virginia isn't even in the SEC.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm hungry. Anyone willing to call a natty?

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

You're putting that out there in this place? Goodness.

Also, why not? What's your pleasure?

11. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

9-3 would be a major indictment on this staff. Essentially, it would validate the majority opinion of the 8th. I don't think they're nearly as bad but, mostly, I think this team will just be that good. The only excusable loss on the schedule next year is Bama, and they're ripe for the taking.

(Seriously) A national championship is the ceiling next year, 9-3 should be the floor.

Take the bet.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

En route.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You two live 90 minutes apart, max.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don't know if it's already been said, but with all due respect, this bet is dumb without meeting up for dinner.

15. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

There's always Skype or Snapchat or whatever kids use these days

16. cotton

I don't know where he lives. I figured it was in Indy, which is more like 4 hrs.

The bet is probably dumb anyway.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

1. Wait, who said I think I'm smart?

2. Card knows where I live (he has family here), so if he says we are an hour and a half away max, he's probably right. Also, by the time next season rolls around, I may be living in Tennessee anyway. The dinner in person would probably be possible.

3. Let me be clear. My proclamations of 11-1 next season came about when I finally came to grips with the fact that we are stuck with Butch for a while. I decided there's no point in allowing it to make me miserable, so I might as well be positive. With our talent and schedule, next year looks like the best chance we have at a championship run for the foreseeable future, so damn it, I'm gonna believe! It's much more of a wanting/forcing myself to believe than an actual true belief, if that makes sense.

4. That said, I probably wouldn't be against the bet if there wasn't so much time and so many factors that are subject to change between now and the beginning of next season. This may be something to come back to next summer or shortly before the season starts, don't you think?

18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

It would take a handful of crucial off-season injuries for UT to not be as talented as everyone they play next year. Point being, not much is changing from now until fall camp.

19. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Stand by your convictions, you *****. Take the bet.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I generally find message board betting to be silly in the first place. I don't think I've known one that payed out.