State of the Union

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I didn't watch it, just caught the highlights.

For whatever President Obama has (and will) do / not done that has drawn my ire and vociferous disagreement during his term, his initiative on cancer is highly commendable, if not long, long overdue - and which predates this Administration. This is the exact type of unavoidable challenge to which the POTUS' demanding lead is perfectly suited and intended. I will not now itemize the many ways in which President Obama's leadership and vision can be questioned, or has been found wanting, because here, he has gotten it quite right. Perfectly, even.

His decision to place Vice President Biden as the lead is both apropos and similarly perfect. .

Lacking his actions and leadership, I am convinced that a cure would remain elusive, if not impossible, and that is to be widely commended and applauded, on both sides of the aisle, and beyond.

I didn't think that his actions should go unmentioned, unrecognized or that I fail to give him full credit for it.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

But it will be way more challenging and harder than landing on the moon. Cancer isn't monolithic and there's ton of types and various ways individuals react to it and treatment.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I appreciate the effort, but I'd stop well short of saying this is the action that makes finding a cure possible.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Unfortunately, there is no cure for cancer in the common sense of the word. Cancer is a byproduct of life. There is a very good documentary on Netflix about it.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The battle against cancer is more than likely going to be about screening. Getting gene testing more refined, more efficient, and more affordable. Identify those at risk and take action beforehand.

6. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Did Eli Attie write Obama's speech? If so he must have used the same lines he wrote in West Wing to cure cancer. Completely plagiarized and disingenuous for Obama to steal Rob Lowe's lines.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. And thinking about it in terms of "a" cure for a wide range of types is minimizing the scope of things.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

My understanding is that while some cancers have a strong relationship with genetics, others are heavily influenced by environmental factors and sometimes just really bad "luck." I kind of wonder if one day there might be a way to "prevent" cancer rather than curing.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The issue is scientific vs engineering. We knew how to get to the moon and just needed to throw money at it since it was possible with technology. We still have to figure out all the science about cancer, which is a totally different road.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's grandstanding with an attempt to create a jfk style legacy. Not surprising behavior from this pres

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I keep thinking medical nanotechnology will be the key. As 53 mentioned the science I think has further to go than does the engineering, but with nanomedicine there is work to be done in both streams.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This is America. Time to start dreaming big again.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Johnson 2016!

14. JayVols

You know our politics are completely screwed when a large contingent of the party in power praises the opposition response to the SOTU.

15. OrangeEmpire

Election season, you gotta run away from him.

16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Haha. Haley did do a nice job, though.

17. JayVols

It's not that at all.

18. OrangeEmpire

Really, do tell

19. OrangeEmpire

The responses are dreadfully painful to watch.

You think someone would figure out set pieces to make it not as fake and staged.

Hire Michael Bay..............

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's nice, but fixing that is still miles away. There's a gamechanger within arm's reach.