Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Feb 3, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Love him or hate him, I do appreciate with exactly one recruiting class he has Belema up in arms over his recruiting tactics.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I hate him with pretty much all my heart and soul, but man I'd love to have him as our coach.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's about to make all other schools an afterthought in the Big 10. I can see why Bret would fret and be upset.

4. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Michigan has a pretty solid class. And Wisconsin has always done well without getting a bunch of 5*s like OSU gets.

The thing that is annoying to me is to see the complete reversal of OSU fans who hated Meyer and swore at his cheating ways, and now shamelessly defends him at every turn.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hoke will give him fits. Other than that, outside of a Northwestern upset every 3 years or so, he'll dominate

6. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

He can coach, and he can certainly recruit. However, a lot of his college success can be atributed directly to one Mr. Tim Tebow. As long as he brings in the right QB to run his system, since he seemed unwilling/unable to adapt it for Brantley, Ohio State will be in a BCS bowl most every year. He's got a good one to work with right now in Braxton Miller.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He'd have won plenty at Florida even without Tebow.

8. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Bullshit. He would have done nothing with Cam Newton.

9. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I like more a lot more now that he's out of the SEC.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Yeah, turning around Bowling Green in such a short time frame and then leading to Utah to a 10-2 and then undefeated season that included a Fiesta Bowl win is all attributed directly to one Mr Tim Tebow. The MWC must've known that in 3 years Meyer would be coaching Tim Tebow at Florida so they needed to let them win then so he would get the look to go to Florida. That was obviously it.

11. CardinalVol

Off the top of my head I can't recall how much he makes now but id add a million to it with no hesitation to get him to come here in 13.

12. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

Urban_Meyer_medium.jpg

'05 was only Leak. '06 is Leak/Tebow. '07-'09 were the Tebow years. '10 was Brantley. Meyer's system was much better when the QB fit it properly. If the QB didn't fit the system, he couldn't/wouldn't or was too stubborn to adapt it. In fairness, exchanging Mullen for Addazio was also a negative impact on production, but the proof is in the pudding. In Utah, he had Alex Smith, another good fit for the read-option scheme. People say that Roy Williams' system doesn't work without the right point guard. Urban Meyer's system doesn't work without the right QB. Chris Leak and John Brantley ran for 75 yards. COMBINED. ON 256 CARRIES.

13. CardinalVol

So he has a preferred system and when he has the ideal pieces in place he completely dominates and the rest of the time he just wins a majority of the time?

Awful and completely overrated coach.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  14. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

Far from awful, but slightly overrated. It's just my opinion. There's Nick Saban. Then there's everyone else. Meyer is at the top of that group with along with Stoops, Miles, Chip Kelly, et al.

Dooley is somewhere down in this range. :)

15. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Can't wait for Saban to go back to the big ten to just to run his ass out of college football for good. Puss of the highest order. I don't care what he does at OSU.

16. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Dooley doesn't even register a reading