Joshua Holsey

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Feb 3, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Didn't really know anything about him until today when I saw an interview on Fox Sports. He's a big time cornerback from Fairburn, GA that had offers from all the big schools. The interesting thing about him is that he is at the same high school Eric Berry attended. He described Berry as "like a big brother" and stated he got all kinds of advice from him about his college choice. As far as I know, UT didn't get a sniff from this guy. He signed with Auburn and Trooper Taylor, the coach that recruited Berry and has bad-mouthed Tennessee in the past. Maybe this isn't the biggest loss in the world, but it could be a foreshadowing of the Berry twins' recruitment. Dooley needs to work on repairing that relationship.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If you're talking about Joshua Holsey, he was reportedly just waiting for a Tennessee offer for weeks and weeks last spring, and Eric Berry reportedly criticized Dooley for not giving it to him. We then offered on April 14th, and he pretty much ignored us and went to Auburn.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Yeah, I believe if we would have just offered maybe a month earlier he would be ours.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well damn. Wonder what the holdup was. Guy had offers from Bama, Florida, USC, Wisconsin, and others. Seems like he'd have been a much better option than either Gray or Bonner.

5. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Must have been his character...

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not VFL material

7. Tar Volon

Dooley likes big corners, Holsey is tiny. That's all I can think of. That said, while I agree that we waited too long, if we offered in friggin April, I'm not buying "got in too late" as the reason we didn't get him. Either he had personal problems with Dooley or he wasn't as excited about us as everyone was saying (come to think of it, I think Sab was behind those reports)

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He only got an offer after a Twitter campaign by Berry.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Still, he got it in April. I'm with Volon on this one.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Bonner is better IMO.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Then why did we wait so long to offer him?

12. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Bonner has a lot more baggage

13. Tar Volon

I've heard people say Bonner is the best DB in the state of Georgia (and one of the best in the Southeast). He had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Florida State, and Southern Cal. Then he stole some iPods on his campus visit to Athens, and everybody backed off. Tennessee offered him after (so Dooley claims) he convinced us that he'd turned over a new leaf. I believe Oklahoma did too. But no one's ever worried about his talent.

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I'll take any DB offered by Bama.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Baggage was a huge concern. If he stays out of trouble he will be the best CB we have had in awhile.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He stole stuff from UGA's locker room on his visit.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think he ever really wanted to be a Vol and Dooley didn't really want hI'm either. It was a token offer to keep the peace

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Right, the point is that we obviously weren't waiting to hear from Bonner beforr we decided on Holsey. Bonner wasn't even offered until January. Seems odd we recruited one guy with horrible grades (Crowley) and one under the radar guy (Gray) and that's pretty much it at CB. Seems like we offered Gray kind of late, too. So njeither Gray or Bonner were holding up Holsey and if we were planning on tsking two corners all along, neither was Crowley. Just seems odd we didn't go after him harder.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Perhaps the size issue has some merit...how does the size of Crowley and Bonner compare to Holsey? Are they bigger corners? Gray is a burner, right? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

We offered in April. We didn't insult him. If he REALLY wanted to be here, he'd be here.