Masters Tickets

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Feb 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I am NOT an avid, or even casual golfer. I used to like to play, but that's been several years ago.

I might have a chance to attend the Masters with a few buddies, but frankly, worry that my lack of playing coupled with my overall unconcern for the game itself (i keep up with it, but not avidly) might just be wasting a ticket that someone else might enjoy far more than I.

On the other hand, and despite all of this , I think its something that I'd like to say that I was fortunate enough to attend, and if nothing else, just to share some time with my bros and to cross it off of the sports-related bucket list.

Has anyone here ever attended the Masters, and would you recommend that someone like myself (mildly interested) would enjoy attending it, if only for the experience?

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just walking the course alone is worth it. I've been once, and hope to go back and take my Dad. Getting tickets is no easy deal.

So if you ask me, you'd be crazy to not go.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Go. It's a very different atmosphere. Incredible venue and uncommercialized. You'll appreciate the level of short game skill of the big boys, as you'll see the fastest greens there are and unimaginable slope combo. Aside from the Ryder Cup, best golf experience there is.

4. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I once left Louisville, KY at 9 pm, drove through the night, attended the Wednesday practice round, got back in the car, drove back to Louisville, KY to be back at work by Thursday. My advice fwiw:

Go. Start at hole one. Walk the entire course. Get another $2 beer and pimento cheese sandwich. Go back to hole 1. Repeat.

Don't worry about finding Tiger or Phil or whoever else you want to see hitting balls on the driving range or putting or whatever. It's much more fun to walk the entire course. If you follow groups for a hole or two and keep walking, you'll see way more golf, and really get to experience the course. Take a little extra time to savor the majesty of the back nine.

I am, of course, getting a little ahead of myself, since you're still deciding whether to go. See step 1 above.

5. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Love the Masters. Best sporting event in the country.

The most underrated aspect of the tournament are the house parties in Augusta that week.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't give 2 shits about golf and I would go.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

You never know, it might wake back up that interest in golf. I don't see how you can pass up that kind of opportunity.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The Masters in '04 is still the single greatest sporting event I have ever attended. Go.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I won't be there for the master's itself, but I'm thinking about joining my college roommate for a few days of the practice rounds. He lives in Augusta and went last year...thought it was a decent amount of fun. I would be going just to hang with him for the most part....

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i wish somebody would invite me to The Masters so [uck fay]ing bad.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Anyone been to the practice rounds? I know they're not the Masters...but is it a decent atmosphere...or should I just consider it an escape from the cold?

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's a good time as well. Especially from an interaction perspective.

13. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I like the practice rounds just as much as any of the 4 rounds. The huge plus is you're allowed to take a camera and snap photos on practice round days. And the par 3 tournament is pretty cool too.

I'll be down there this year probably on Tuesday and Wednesday. Not sure if I'm going to stay the rest of the week.

14. hallowed_hill

I sold two practice round tickets for >$900 on ebay in 2007 the night before the tournament.

15. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

risky!

16. hallowed_hill

Why?

17. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

you can get banned for life if they trace those back to you

18. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Wow! That's intense. I guess I'm not surprised though. I definitely want to go to Augusta before I die.

19. hallowed_hill

Yeah, i suppose i've heard that. Oh well. I guess that's just the way i roll.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

How does a person go about getting tickets?