Memphis State to the Big East

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Feb 7, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Never mind 3 legit bball programs are on their way out (and I think Louisville and UConn will eventually).

Never mind that they've begged at the Big East door for at least 5 years.

Never mind they were behind by Houston, SMU, and UCF (and technically TCU) as all sports members and Boise State and San Diego State as football only members.

Never mind that at best this conference is the Metro/Great Midwest Conference plus the no/weak football Big East Schools.

Never mind the best comparison I have heard today was that they are basically the fat chick at the party the guy taken because he wants some and everyone else is taken.

Never mind any of this as damnit, Memphis State has finally gotten in a BCS* conference!

*-probably for one year, as I would guess they will lose AQ status in 2014

2. hardwoodfanatic

hardwoodfanatic New Member

At least Pitino will finally STFU and be happy, he's been lobbying hard for this move to help salvage his beloved Big East.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

So, Pastner's career will die at the hands of Ed Cooley, Mike Rice, and Kevin Willard instead of Tim Floyd, Larry Eustachy, and Tom Herrion. I think I'd rather fall to the guys with the bigger resumes. Either way, he's done.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'd be lobbying hard too if I was in danger of trading trips to Manhattan for trips to Manhattan, Kansas.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Agree with Hat here. Pastner's toast. This is his worst nightmare.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

An unintended consequence is that Charlie Strong will be looking to coach a team in an AQ conference. It should be easy to get him here after Dooley flops this year

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Let's hope he's about the 8th or 9th person on the list.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

List your other 7.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

8th or 9th might have been an exaggeration, but there's no way in hell that I think he should be our main target.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he'd be a solid backup choice, after a hail mary choice and a more established choice.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

After Stoops, Saban and Patterson tell you no and Pete Carroll is retained in Seattle, you go after him.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I might be able to buy that.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm just not sold on him, but I know you're a fan of Strong's, and, from what I've seen, you know football pretty well. And, I agree he'd be in the discussion if the main targets turn us down.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If Strong's team takes another postive step this year, I think he moves up the list.

I'm also thinking Mike London might make a great coach.

15. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Hey now,I love Pastner! Hell of a coach. I cash a lot of tickets betting against him. Please keep him!

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

London is highly respected but a Virginia guy through and through. I think he's at his destination job

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm all for shooting for the stars but he's, IMO, a great fall back option

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems like a good coach, and an even better man.

19. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I love all you guys. Even though we are the retarded cousin, we still get invited to Christmas dinner.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

With the possible exception of A&M, I have never seen a fanbase as excited to join a conference as Memphis State is.