Starting 5 All-Time SEC Team...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hardwoodfanatic, Feb 6, 2012.

1. hardwoodfanatic

hardwoodfanatic New Member

So, I'm bored and wanted to get a thread started somewhere on the new forum. This topic has been passed around many times, but I'd like to hear everyone's version of their "favorite" starting five in SEC history, not necessarily what they think is the "best" starting five. For instance, who would you want to see play together if time travel were possible. For instance:

Shaq
    Mashburn
    The Pistol
    Rex Chapman
    Chris Jackson

Notable Reserves: King, Houston, Skywalker, Williamson, barkley, Person, Billy McCaffrey, Delk.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Shaq
    King
    Houston
    Chapman
    Jackson

I hate leaving Barkley off.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

More of a Tennessee flavor to Kid's. I would probably go with The Pistol over Houston, but what the [uck fay] do I know?

4. kidbourbon

I got no beef with The Pistol, but we've only got one ball, and I feel like he might fall in love with his jumpshot at the expense of Shaq and Bernard.

5. kidbourbon

Changing my answer.

Shaq
    King
    Barkley
    Chapman
    Jackson

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Solid reasoning.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Stokes
    King
    Grunfeld
    Lofton
    McBee

GBO VFL

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

You're full of it. No way Grunfeld makes this team over Bradshaw.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I should have jus gone ahead and kept it all white.

Who was that horrible center we had with Buzz? He was #0.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Boomer Herndon, I believe.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

seriously Hardwood, no BKing? That is borderline insanity. He's probably the best player in the history of the conference.

12. hardwoodfanatic

Yeah, I hear ya. Quite frankly I think he is the best player to ever play in the conference, which is why I wanted this thread to be unique and more personal, about who and what style each person would like to see play together, because there are so many choices. BK was the truth, no doubt. I didn't even put Issel on the reserves list, and he is probably a top 5 player all time as well.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I remember after Meeks broke Issel's record that Jay Williams said something to the effect of "Who is Dan Issel and how did he score 53 points?" Facepalm.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Might be the most underappreciated basketball player of all time.

15. kidbourbon

Tough to make an argument that he's a better player than Shaq. If you look strictly at college numbers he is better than Shaq, but the problem with that approach is that it brings Pistol Pete squarely into the discussion. And I just cannot accept an argument that Pete Maravich is a better basketball player than Bernard King.

Slight tangent: me and a friend of mine who is an LSU grad got into a drunken argument -- this was circa Fall 2004 -- about who was better between King and Maravich. I actually have zero recollection of this initial round of argumentation, but the cute indian girl* who was with us (we were all coworkers at the time) told me that I was making sense and holding my own. Anyway, this became an ongoing argument for like 7 years. Not an everyday affair or anything, but we would occassionally go back and forth and neither of us would concede the point. We finally agreed that we would take Bill Simmons' opinion on the matter as gospel, and so when his book of basketball came out and he ranked Bernard #58 and Pistol Pete #68 (The Book of Basketball Interactive Guide), the argument was officially over. Glad Bill Simmons got it right.

*I took her virginity a few months later. Actually it was more like a year later. Or 8 months-ish later...not exactly sure. The most important thing is that I got it in there first. Girl was 24. She later married a guy that she met off an indian dating site after her arranged-marriage parents didn't approve of her dating a gentlemen of european ancestry. But y'all don't care about that. You just wanted to hear the part about how I crossed the line of scrimmage. Okay, I'm done.

16. kidbourbon

Besides Gheorghe Muresan.

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

And Shawn Bradley. In all seriousness, I'd probably go with Pettit as most underappreciated.

18. hardwoodfanatic

Gimel Martinez Biatches.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It's a travesty that it took this long for someone to mention Andy "The Wall" Ikeakor.