Fugate

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

A LB now.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I guess we've decided to forget about the FB position. We have one guy who hasn't been very good and has one year of eligibility remaining.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Alden Hill? You are probably right though. I imagine a lot of 3wr sets in our future.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This will make for some fun goalline situations.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Considering he was barely allowed to play last year, this move could have been made earlier. His career is probably over now.

6. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

If buys in he will get on field by 2013.

7. Vol4Life

Vol4Life New Member

I would say it is more of an indication of offensive philosophy. We'll be seeing a lot of 3 WR sets, multiple TE sets, as well as TE's being used as H-Backs in multiple TE formations.
    Plus, Fugate didn't see the field much last year so why not let him try to seize an opportunity at a position we lack depth at anyway.

JayVols likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why not make this decision sooner, since it is clearly a philosophically generated one?

9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

FB is a position you can get by with walk ons imo, especially with our O.

10. Vol4Life

Vol4Life New Member

Spring practices haven't started yet so whether it's done in January or February makes little difference. Timing played the biggest part: we missed on some LB prospects, CSS is probably just getting to fully evaluate this team and his defense now that recruiting priorities have wrapped up for the '12 class and saw an opportunity to improve the quality of depth at one of his defensive positions. I played football in college, position changes were usually announced between Jan-Mar. The priority was to get the change in before spring practices started, which they seem to have done here.

11. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Saying it was Fugate's idea.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

What I'm saying is, why not make this move last year since they clearly weren't going to be utilizing the fullback position and the guy is a reasonably gifted athlete?

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This. The rise of H-backs has lessened the role of the traditional FB. I don't think that a team doesn't need a FB, but so many are now just putting an extra OL back there on goal line situations.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's no point halfway through the season.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Halfway? Chaney didn't use him outside of Fall practice. And he liked what he saw then. It isn't like something changed with Fugate or something awesome occurred with the passing game unexpectedly.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Halfway through the season we were sans Justin Hunter. So at that point you'd think we might actually want a FB. But back in spring practice you'd expect the coaches were thinking we'd have the Bray/Hunter/Rogers show going all year and we should go ahead and rethink the FB stuff. I agree with IP that this should have been done sooner.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Bartholomew may be the worst player to start for an SEC team since Sleepy Robinson and it showed on every snap he played. If you look up liability in the dictionary it has an overhead shot of the I-formation with the word Bartholomew highlighted next to FB.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He played more before Hunter got hurt

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

But, but, but he is a legacy. All legacies get in.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We are going to kick ass this year in the wing T.