The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Feb 8, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. I was thrilled to see the warm reception Steve Hamer received before the game. Despite lousy knees and even lousier teammates, he forged the most underappreciated career in UT basketball history.
    2. The Bennett brothers certainly had an interesting interpretation of the Anthem. It took some time for me to catch on, but I thought it was ultimately pretty good. Their rendition of Rocky Top was excellent.
    3. I hate to belabor a point, but Enter Sandman has got to go as the entrance music. Unless the team is going to come out of the tunnel swinging kendo sticks and guzzling Budweiser, it's trite and borderline stupid at this point.
    4. Trae Golden has received a great deal of criticism this year, much of it richly deserved. That doesn't change the fact that this is a five win caliber basketball team without him on the roster.
    5. By the start of his junior season, Josh Richardson will be the best defender in the SEC. Once he adds the bulk necessary to avoid being muscled off his spot, he'll be a Ruben Patterson quality player on the defensive end.
    6. Skylar McBee's offensive flurry at the end of the first half was huge. It allowed UT to go into the locker room up 8 despite playing highly suspect basketball for twenty minutes. Jordan McRae also played, despite some ballhandling misadventures, exceptional basketball.
    7. Darrin Horn is staggeringly incompetent. There's not a coach in the country with less of a grasp on his own team's strengths and weaknesses. South Carolina is by no means loaded, but the product they are putting on the floor is inexcusable. If South Carolina doesn't announce his firing simultaneously with the final buzzer in their first round loss in the SEC tournament, they're just wasting time.
    8. I'd like to thank Kansas for slapping that cesspool of a program in Waco back to reality. Here's the lesson Scott Drew should take out of that game: He's still Bill Self and you're still a strategically inept scumbag.
    9. That was Kenny Hall best game in recent memory. He didn't score, but his defense was a huge key in Tennessee closing out the game. That's the type of game UT needs from him with consistency.
    10. This team had to sweep their last three home games to have any shot at the postseason. They accomplished that. Given their total inability to pass and catch the basketball, sitting at .500 right now is a testament to their grit. Now, they've got to find a road win or two. It won't happen Saturday. However, there's no reason they can't compete in Tuscaloosa, Columbia, and Baton Rouge.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Have you ever seen a team that so desires to throw half-court fastballs at stone-handed post players?

Still, good win. USC will be much better if and when Gregg Marshall is coaching them.

3. hatvol96

The USC team the year before OJ Mayo got there was the worst ballhandling team I had ever seen have any level of success. This group is far, far worse.

4. hardwoodfanatic

hardwoodfanatic New Member

1. I always liked watching Hamer play, just mentioning his name brings back several games to mind. Just a good player.

7. Darrin Horn (as I have been on record many times saying) is a douche nozzle as a person, and you pegged his coaching aptitude as well.

8. For whatever reason, I just hate Baylor. It's like that guy in your graduating class that you forget even exists, but when you see him in the hall, you just want to kick the shit out of him. For me, thats Baylor.

As for #6, I have never seen the words Skylar McBee and offensive flurry used synonymously in a sentence. It looks weird, but I take your word for it.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Also, I agree on Stevie Hamer. Tennessee hasn't had a lot of legitimate centers in their history but he was a good one for sure.

Are him and Boerwinkle the only two to be drafted? I guess Reggie Johnson too maybe.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

McBee had 11 points on a 14-4 Tennessee run to close out the first half. He finished with 18. I am not making this up.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Skylar's played well and Cuonzo likes him. He will never be great defensively, but he has really improved on that end this season.

8. hardwoodfanatic

Oh yeah, I watched it, along with watching Cuse/Gtown and Dook/UNC on TV. Still, it's just a hard read.

9. hatvol96

Horn is part of a phenomenon that has never made sense to me. People go crazy when a guy has one good year at Western and annoint him the next big thing. That's idiocy. Pretty much everyone who has ever coached there had at least one really good season. If you don't win big with great regularity there, you're just plain a bad coach.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  10. hardwoodfanatic

Yeah, it's been that way for a long time here in Bowling Green. It isn't a secret that Western has a tremendous hoops history, and has had it's way in the Sun Belt most years. Combine that history with good facilities, and you can basically run the Sunbelt, win the tourney and compile some great seasons. Willard, Felton, Horn all did it and parlayed it into bigger gigs. If McDonald had focused more on player discipline and less on getting suck jobs from coeds in the parking structure he could have done the same.

Just a weird situation. Phenomenon is a great word for it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Missed the game, assuming all the talk about Skylar McBee in this thread are [uck fay]ing lies.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm surprised someone didn't make this mistake with Shaka Smart last year.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It seemed to me Tatum had a bad night even by his lofty standards in the ball handling dept. seemed like most of his to's were of the wtf-are-you-thinking variety.

14. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Gotta think Stokes would have manhandled these guys. Their posts made Kenny Hall look beastly.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Horn's bullshit gimmicky matchup zone is another sign of total incompetence. It's terribly coached and opposing teams get good shots almost every time down the floor.

16. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

As someone who doesn't get to many home games, it's always enjoyable to read your entertainment comments.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This made me laugh. I watched and it was hard to believe.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If there was anyone that was more humorous to watch the Single A bball players try to defend defend in rural West TN, it was Middleton's own Steve Hamer.

I want to say in 1992 he was part of the rural west TN Mr. Basketball sweep. He was class A, Stanley Caldwell was AA (there's another blast from the past), and Tony Delk was AAA.

19. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

I rep west TN, so I feel ya dog.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

To this day Tony Delk is the best high school player I have ever personally watched. He was so good he made it look so easy.