Sal Sunseri and John Palermo, aim to install new defense for Vols

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VolDad, Feb 9, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

KNOXVILLE, Tennessee -- Sal Sunseri and John Palermo have seen plenty of different defensive schemes in their combined 64 years of coaching. That should come in handy as they try to transform the Tennessee defense into a more multiple unit capable of competing with the top Southeastern Conference teams.

"In this day and age you have to be multiple," said Palermo, who is the Volunteers' new defensive line coach. "You can't line up in one thing. The offenses are too good. The development from what (the Vols coaches have) done so far and looking at what Sal has done (in the past), it's going to be pretty multiple."

As Tennessee's new defensive coordinator, Sunseri has plans to install a 3-4 defensive style. Sunseri said Wednesday in his first appearance at Tennessee that he wants to form a defense that plays tough no matter what kind of defensive scheme they're in.

New Tennessee coaches, Sal Sunseri and John Palermo, aim to install new defense for Vols | al.com

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dooley has one year left and he's changing defenses?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

New staff. This is Year Zero again.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Credit where credit is due, the man has large ones.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That or he's trying to create another excuse

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Do you think that he might not know that his seat is Hot?

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think there's any way that he doesnt know that.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Or he just doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think VD and Cotton may be right. I definitely think he doesn't know completely what the hell he is doing. I also could see that with his level of arrogance and passion for deflecting blame that he very well may think he's safe for a few more years. There's strong evidence that supports both arguments. His momma does still refer to him as precious and he's a grown man. That can't foster much humility.....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  10. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Some of the losers of VN actually believe that since CSS received a 3-year contract that is guaranteed Dooley 3 more years minimum.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He's well-aware he's got to win and got to win now. I'm 99% sure he's been told 9 wins or else.

I've seen changes like this take place and it work. However, it's definitely either a gutsy/stupid move, and I'll let you decide which to use.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Desperation? Maybe it's ignorance with regards to the consequences.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012