Is Martin over-achieving?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by IP, Feb 9, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Martin has a team that many of us felt would struggle to win 10 games sitting at .500 in February with an outside shot of post-season play still on the table.

Martin has somehow roped in a 5 star elite player from Memphis into playing for Tennessee.

All this on what was supposed to be a "lost year."

Is he over-achieving? Can he build on these successes next year?

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I think we could be an NCAA tournament team next year. Let's get another JUCO PG ala Bobby Maze, and we will be dancing.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think he's doing a fine job. I don't think he's overachieving. If we were overachieving, we wouldn't have lost to Oakland, CofC, and AP early in the year.

4. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Certainly don't think he's overachieving. This team has improved remarkably, but it's still within the realm of expectations.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He put his mark on the team by sticking to his defensive game plan when things weren't going his way early in the season. They eventually caught on, he narrowed the line-up, got contributions from freshmen he recruited, and has made Jeronne Maymon a significantly better player. All these are a credit to him, and I look forward to our future under him.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Eh, .500 ball is where we should be. They have improved. Get to 9-7 in conference and I think we can discuss they overachieving part.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just didn't think we would win more than 10 games this year. I certainly didn't think we would be snagging a 5 star from Memphis midseason.

If he finds a PG next season and can ramp up to consistently recruiting high level talent, Bruce Pearl could be little more than a footnote very quickly. I am not a super knowledgeable basketball guy, but it appears on the face of it that the style of ball he is having his team learn to play is much, much more conducive to success in tournament environments due to its consistency and its relative insensitivity to match-ups compared to Pearl's "lead OSU by 20 at the half, lose the game" style.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I thought this would be a .500 team. They had some chances to be better. And I agree that martin's style is more conducive to winning in tourneys.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's building a solid foundation.

Stokes needed a scholarship and Tennessee had one. Pearl had been on him for awhile too. I'm not downplaying Martin's hand, but it was a very good situation for both Stokes and Tennessee.

It's encouraging to see how much he's gotten out of Jeron.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Kenny Hall has also drastically improved under Martin.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Next year will really tell us what we have. IMO

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Only if he's able to find a point guard in the offseason. I think the 2013 recruiting class will be the indication of where we're headed. He'll have at least five scholarships at his disposal. You've got to hit big when you have that many openings. That's not even taking into account the possibility of Stokes heading into the NBA draft.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Agree. I'm still holding out hope we find a PG.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

From a certain point of view, those losses make our later success more impressive.

Anyway, kind of hard to define what we are looking to achieve this year. For me it's pretty much about getting things set up for future success as long as we see steady improvement and good recruiting, mission accomplished.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not going to lie, id really like to get in the nit. Would be a nice ending to season.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. Making a post-season tourney would mean something to me.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

drastically? From what i have seen, he has shown flashes of being able to contribute, but i haven't seen a whole lot that has made me think he is drastically better than he was last year.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

He is significantly better scoring on the block. He's significantly better rebounding. He's significantly better at playing more physical. He's one o our best free throw shooters. He's been an excellent 6th man.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, the argument that he has over-achieved got a little easier today. Still not a done deal, but getting close.