"Deeep Learning"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Mar 16, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Nice read, and so true. I was recently having a back and forth with someone about where we're heading in terms of population:available jobs. He insisted, correctly, that innovation and automation have been a constant and we've continued to create jobs. While true, I believe we are quickly entering a new paradigm. Manufacturing is already heavily automated and the service industry isn't far behind. I think the trades are stable and will provide opportunity for some time. Outside of the trades I believe more and more jobs will require a certain level of intelligence, critical thinking and adaptability. These skills aren't always the easiest to find today.

Repetitive, transactional work by humans is quickly becoming obsolete. We talk about bringing manufacturing back to the country, but for how long? Chinese labor may be cheaper than automating at present (in some cases), but it won't be for much longer.

Add to that, robotic process automation is all the rage in the business world right now. Grey-collar and some white-collar roles are now being partially to fully automated. The world is absolutely changing.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Not entirely on topic, but I didn't realize how much work done by national accounting firms was outsourced until my internship.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

How deep we talkin' here?

5. kidbourbon

Non-routine and cognitive 4 life!

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Amazing and startling. Only a bit way through the article (it is long and I must be a slow reader), but it will be a very different world my kids live in.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, yes, yes. The sooner folks realize this, the sooner we can start adapting to it.

My dad is very conservative. I blew his mind two weeks ago when I pointed out how many of his friends have jobs that won't exist in 15 years. It completely changed his perspective on work and the ability to contribute to an economy.

8. gcbvol

I use the word way too much, but this topic is fascinating. As a follow-up to my previous post, it is the growing pains which are most concerning. The concept of UBI has been around, but I think most will agree it will be a massive challenge to implement - especially in a country the size of the US. I think the technology/AI job displacement will outpace the economic countermeasures.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe they have to, otherwise we'd be wondering which necessitated which.

10. gcbvol

We are now automating corporate roles, looking for any repetitive and/or transactional components in the workforce. It's coming sooner than many might believe.

11. gcbvol

Makes sense, but how ugly does it get before we take action? Scares me.

12. kidbourbon

No, seriously.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It'll take extreme ugliness.

14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I have a hard time believing AI could replace what my coworkers do, but as far as my specific job, I could see, and honestly I hope its the case sooner rather than later. But on a macro scale, humans will always be needed, at every level, in my field of industry and related ones. Analysis, retail, even logistics I could see being overhauled by AI and robotic/automated tech, but I don't see field operators and technicians being replaced by them, simply because we work in harsh conditions and we require less maintenance/are cheaper. And at our plant, a ton of things are already automated.

15. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I'll bite.

Balls deep.

16. kidbourbon

That's deep

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

But for how long will that be true? 50 years? 30 years?

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is why if you are looking for a job, look for one that requires actual human interaction and can't be outsourced.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think it will get that ugly. Products will become cheaper so the poor will be better off and cottage industry will pop with more disposable income with people wanting handmade as a status symbol. It will be a lot like the small food movement now

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

[dadgum], KB. You've extended the depth of my thread title via double entendre.