The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Feb 11, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. There is no greater sound in college basketball than the absolute silence in an opponent's arena when you've handled them. Gainesville was very quiet the last five minutes.
    2. That's Trae Golden's finest moment at Tennessee. He dominated Erving Walker and controlled the game.
    3. Florida was incredibly passive on both ends of the floor. They performed as if all the had to do was make it to the arena to win. I guess they forgot the result of the first meeting.
    4. Kenny Hall looks like a totally different player in the last few games. He's been active and aggressive defensively and on the glass. That's what he has to do to be an asset.
    5. Jeronne Maymon was too much for whoever Florida put on him today. Had he not missed multiple shots within three feet, he would have had monster numbers.
    6. There were still a few inexplicably bad ballhandling plays. However, they didn't string together a run of them today and got back defensively after turnovers better than they previously had this season. That kept Florida from getting any rhythm offensively.
    7. Carter Blackburn is a good young broadcaster. It borders on child abuse to make him work with a buffoon like Joe Dean. I honestly think Dean has a list of comments he plans to make regardless of whether or not they are remotely related to the action on the floor.
    8. Wes Washpun didn't help his case with that ridiculous technical foul at the end of the game. Making inexcuseable decisions like that makes it very easy for a coach to bury you on the bench.
    9. Things just keep getting worse for the Big East. First, the football component of the conference has fallen apart. Now, they are in danger of falling far short of their usual haul of NCAA bids. West Virginia, UCONN, and Cincinnati have all played themselves into serious danger of participating in the NIT.
    10. That's a great, great win. Now the team has to take care of business Wednesday. Slip up in that one and all the ground gained today is handed right back. This team is positioned to have a really good finishing stretch. There's not a game left on the schedule where they won't be on at least equal footing.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Great win. Fun game to watch

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What a great win today! Road win against a top 10 in-conference opponent? I'll take it.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I love beating those clowns. How do they have 18 wins?

Agree on Carter Blackburn, though he needs to learn the correct way to say "Vawls".

5. Joe Dean learned his craft from his dad. Why expect more?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Keep in mind, we've played a very challenging schedule compared to most SEC teams.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No mention of McRae, hat?

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I checked the box and saw that McBee led the team with 38 minutes played. And I only remember one or two occasions where Florida took advantage of his complete lack of athleticism. That's a testament to what Cuonzo's been able to do with him, and it's (although not new this game) nothing short of remarkable.

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

McRae, McBee, and Richardson were all generally sound. Each had a couple of lapses, but it's not like those are unexpected.

10. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

My lord I am a terrible fan. I chose shopping with the wife and did not DVR this game. I honestly thought we would not stand a chance. I didn't even want to build myself up only to be broken. Too bad I missed this. I followed the score on my phone but man I am sorry I missed that.

Fire away.....

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I believe McBee, McRae, and Hall were the three leading scorers at halftime. Don't beat yourself up; no one could have seen this.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

A replay should be available at espn3.com. No worries bro, you got to keep the wife happy.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I had to go to a bday party dinner w the wife. I dvr'd it. Watching it now. Say all that to say....

Not a true fan. Jmo. Imo. Vfl. Go vols.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Cuonzo has no doubt made him a better player and a better conditioned one, too. And it is no accident that better conditioning leads to better shooting.

The great surprise is his slow but steady development as a defender. He has been a key cog in this SEC stretch.

15. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

Dunno why but my laptop keeps locking up when I try to play the replay. UGH

LOL, expect nothing less.

16. Tar Volon

ESPN3 has intermittently worked great and given my computers hell. Do some cleanup and see if it works. Or try another computer if you have one.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Missed it due to driving back from Nashville. I assume our post players took advantage of a soft Florida team?

18. Tar Volon

They had no answer for Maymon at all, and although Stokes didn't get many minutes, he had some impressive defensive stops while he was in.

Mostly this was a carbon copy of the game in Knoxville, although they hit a couple more last minute threes to make the score prettier this time. And Golden just abused Walker.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If Coach Martin can find enough talent to score some points going forward (Stokes is a good start) he should be fine. This team is tough minded and solid on D, he just needs some scoring.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

UT is a tough basketball team. They appear to fight and push and scrap all game long.

When was the last time you could sa y that?