Will 20 Wins Get Us To The Tourney?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by gorockytop101, Feb 11, 2012.

1. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Obviously, it's a major stretch, but I'm curious.

Seems like a nice run at the end of the season would do wonders for our RPI.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'm pretty sure it would. But you're right, major stretch

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

We have a boat-load of quality wins. We just need more wins, total.

4. Tar Volon

I'm starting to question UConn's quality. But we have a nice pair over Florida, and we'd need to beat Bama or Vandy for this situation to work. But we have four bad (RPI 100+) losses to compensate for (Oakland, Charleston, Georgia, Peay) and one 200+ (Peay).

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

does our road record affect whether we get into the Tourney? I always thought bad road teams were less likely to make it.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Three of those four losses were prior to a very significant roster addition. I'm not going to get ahead of myself. This team is still way too flawed for me to get excited about the prospects of running the table. That said, take a look at the teams at the back end of the projected field right now. It doesn't take much of a resume to get in the discussion.

7. hatvol96

If they win out, they'll be on a four game road winning streak.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

that's a good point. I don't know, i just don't see it happening, and i get tired of the people acting like it's going to happen. I don't see us even coming close to winning out.

9. Tar Volon

Fair point. And last year, three teams got in at 19-14, which we can do with 5-1 and a tourney win. But considering what happened last time people got excited about NCAA tournament possibilities, I'll remain a skeptic until we actually take care of an abysmal road team on Wednesday.

10. hatvol96

I'm not even going to consider the possibility of making the NCAA Tournament unless UT sweeps next week.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

They can lose next sat and I wont write them off. They can't lose more than 1 the rest of the season though.

12. Tar Volon

While this is likely true, but official position remains and will remain "beat Arkansas."

13. CardinalVol

Agree 100%. Cannot lose to that team.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Bama suspends their 3 top players indefinitely. Did we just get a miracle for next saturday?

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

If Tennessee makes the NCAA tournament I'll start to believe that Martin will be cutting down nets some time in his career.

However, I don't see it. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

16. CardinalVol

If this team wins 5 of their last 6, which is what it will take, that would make them 11-6 since conference play started plus the addition of stokes. It would also make them 8-2 in their last 10.

All of those things lead me to think that unless they are one and done in the sect they would be sitting pretty good for at minimum a play in game.

That said, i'll be please with a nit birth.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think we will lose to Arky this week and then this will all be over. Just a hunch.

18. Tar Volon

I have the same hunch, despite Arky being truly horrid on the road so far this year. If the team shows me they can stay focused and pull out a win a couple days after a big road upset, that will impress me almost as much as getting the road upset in the first place.

19. hatvol96

Unless the guards throw the ball away 30 times, which is certainly possible, Maymon, Hall, and Stokes should absolutely obliterate the Arkansas frontcourt.

20. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

yesterday was the first time I've seen them play. Their center looked like an absolute stiff. Hopefully Hall keeps building on his good play