Driverless Trucks Imminent, 1% of US jobs gone

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 26, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/25/th...eed:+Techcrunch+(TechCrunch)&sr_share=twitter

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I wonder if the driverless ones will get side by side going uphill and cause 22-mile traffic jams, too

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The next 30 years (if not less than that) will be very interesting.

One of the fathers in my son's Scout Troop is a UPS driver, and we were talking about how much less work he has to do now with paper and figuring out routes. And we then talked about how in a few years, his truck might be automated with a robot that drops the parcel off at the door.

It's coming.

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The loss of driver jobs will be somewhat offset by the increase in first responder jobs.

5. NorrisAlan

I actually think the driverless trucks will be far safer.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's more than just an opinion. All the data demonstrates that.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the auto industry might be destroying itself. why own a car yourself to have it sit in a garage 99% of the time? surely driverless ubers would be cheaper. traffic might be a thing of the past too.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was sideswiped by one on the way home from Knoxville two weeks ago and the ass hole wouldn't stop.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I said that we are heading to a future where most people don't actually own their own car anymore, let alone drive one, a few years ago on this forum. I was laughed at. We are headed towards a "netflix" automobile culture. Sounds scary in a way, but change is that way.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think we are least a decade away from a true driverless car becoming a reality though. even the most sophisticated ones now still require a driver to take over occasionally. and you just know some driverless car will kill someone and people will freak out even though it will be much safer than having a driver. I bet the politics make a true driverless car getting approved difficult

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I kinda like driving.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Good cheaper goods

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Skynet controls the data.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That is gross.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Was in an Arbys in NE Ky a few months back waiting in line for my food. The fryer is beeping uncontrollably regardless of multiple buttons being punched by several staff members. Little nerdy looking guy (the only one that has yet to take a shot at fixing the problem) walks up and here is his comment: "Skynet has become self aware."

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that we are a decade away from it being as common as say a hybrid/electric car is now. And two decades away from it being any kind of dominant. But commercially, it could happen overnight when it does.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would miss driving. Won't miss a huge segment of our population being behind the wheel, however. Public transportation invariably becomes disgusting. I think there would still be a big market for people to own.

18. NorrisAlan

I highly doubt the personal car will ever go away. It will just drive for you. And I am all for that.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

doubt it goes away completely, but I bet the number reduces dramatically .

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I want to see one of these driverless trucks self refuel.