Football Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread to discuss formations, Strategies, coaching stories, and playing days stories

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I still play. it's pretty fun.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Have you drank your way to linebacker yet?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I played fullback and outside linebacker through jr. high. I was good but way too small to continue on. The point of saying that is I love offenses where fullbacks get touches, which is why I love smashmouth, 3-yards and a cloud of dust football. Shawn Bryson's run against Florida gets me fired up to this day.

I wore 33 in honor of James Stewart, by the way.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Anyone have any thoughts about the strategic differences between the 4-3 and 3-4?

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The 3-4 is a lot more multiple, and puts more pressure on the offensive line, but with it being multiple and with more blitzes. It can lead to more big plays, if you're out of the position and the right play is called to exploit the blitz.

An example of that would be two years ago and tennessee's long touchdown run against Alabama.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Nope. i'm actually in decent shape right now.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3-4's tend to "overload" a side and raise hell. Huge risk vs huge reward.

Pittsburgh's was great when Polamalu was healthy and erasing mistakes. He's starting to slow down and it shows.

The thing about a 3-4 is that 4th LB can either be a standup DE, a jumbo safety or another LBer. You can either effectively rush a passer, have a 5th DB or stop the run and never really change your base look just personnel

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I played junior pro and high school ball. I was a receiver and DB in high school. We ran a wing T, I'm sure Jayvol loves me. I was the guy earholing LBs most every play.

10. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Played 4 years varsity at WLB. Played at a pretty high level in 6A Alabama. Made All Area and All County my Junior and Senior years. Only opportunity to continue play was at Livingston but decided to pass. Im pretty much a big deal and still wear my letttermen jacket to certain social functions.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Played 7th grade through senior year. Started out at left tackle in 7th grade, moved to center 8th and 9th, then guard 10-12. Played d-end on defense. Long-snapped on the side. Quit growing after 8th grade and that plus several injuries put a damper on any greatness I may have had. Honestly don't know if I would do it again.

Coached flag football for a few years. Thought it was a blast. Would love to coach rec league ball but just don't have the time.

Philosophy wise I'm pretty much a pro style guy that loves a balanced attack and any type of 3 receiver sets. Dom Capers has turned me into a fan of the 3-4.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

you guys should post game film you playing if you have it. I think it would be hilarious to see if people on here were really any good.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I played for a coach that always said, they're footballs players and then wide recievers. He was really old school, but I guess when you kill Japs in World War II it shapes you that way.

He is/was like number 6 in wins in Tennessee History. He also holds the record for most points ever scored in a game, and coached the player that holds the record for most points scored in a game.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My head coach was a Marine in Vietnam. He was the same way. There was none of this new-fangled throwing the ball, and there would be no discussion about it - full pad practices every day.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He always told us he wouldn't watch the Green Bay Packers practice in shorts.

We didn't get water only ice, and only one ice break for a three hour practice.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Most all of mine were either whiffing on a LB, clipping like hell or getting a good shot on someone right off the frame.

I think I caught 4 or 5 passes my senior year.

I didn't play a whole lot of defense but when I did usually had to take on a pulling guard and contain, which meant I got flattened but kept the outside shoulder free.

I think I had the most fun playing special teams to be honest.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My sophomore year in college, a guy came in wearing a Giles County football hoodie. We started talking about football and come to find out, we had played against each other. I got him twice pretty good on crack blocks and our wing back hammered him. He said his corner was a [itch bay] that never let him know the crack was coming.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kelly Ziegler (former Vol LB) was one of my coaches in high school. He would run gassers with us and wouldn't be out of breath while we were all puking.

We had a shitty practice one day and he threw down his $5 dollar Cincinnati Bengals' sunglasses and tried to break them. We all watched hoping those glasses would break so he would get in a better mood. They didn't and we ran five 100 yard gassers, (over back over back) then 10 "regular" (40 yard) gassers. We all blamed the sunglasses.

19. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

We didnt have video recorders back when I played :) Actually it sucked because it was a lot harder to get noticed recruiting wise back then (early 90's). Not saying I would have gone anywhere though.

20. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Ive actually just updated my facebook page with my new photo after talking about all this way back stuff

[​IMG]