Huge win for the Vols- NCAA Tourney now possible?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by IP, Feb 11, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

With the sweep of Florida, I now believe an NCAA bid is possible. If we can get to 18 regular season wins and then win two in the SEC tourney, we could be dancing.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Its certainly back of the table of discussion. Still a ways to go.

3. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Damnit, IP.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Every time someone starts talking about this, we lose a game we shouldn't. But yeah, finish 5-1 and we'll talk.

5. hardwoodfanatic

hardwoodfanatic New Member

After crunching numbers with the SOS and RPI, the only way I can see UT dancing WITHOUT winning the SEC tourney is to win out, and win 2 games in the tourney, one of them being UK. But I would love to be wrong.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think that has to happen, HWF. I think they have to get to 10-6 in the conference and win a game in the SEC Tourney. I think the committee will look favorably upon our end to the year, and they'll also take into account the addition of Stokes. Now, I don't really expect that to happen, so it's all just fantasy right now.

7. hardwoodfanatic

hardwoodfanatic New Member

10-6 in the SEC is usually always good enough to get you in the tourney, if you have under 10 or fewer losses total. 12 losses with 3 being to AP, Charleston and Oakland, that's tough. Of course six of the losses were to ranked teams, although Memphis has dropped out. You have wins over ranked teams, but UConn is helping take a crap on that too. I dunno, I just don't see it.

But WTH do I know, I thought VT would have made it in those few years that they were snubbed.

8. CardinalVol

Before Saturday, our RPI was 134. That was a lot lower than I expected. Lot of ground to make up in not very much time.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

At 11-12, our RPI was 134. We are now 13-12 and I haven't seen a new one.

10. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I've heard (but haven't seen for myself) 108. I would imagine it would be somewhere around there anyway.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't realize we were that bad off the RPI, either. Should take care of itself if we keep winning, though.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

And, you have to keep in mind the impact that the addition of Stokes would make in the Committee's minds if we were to put ourselves in position to be considered.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

10-6 would also put us somewhere around 4th (?) in the conference. The RPI will still be somewhat lousy, but I could make that argument.

Realtime RPI has us at 110 as of this morning.

14. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

And RPI doesn't count the Chaminade win, so we are 12-12 .

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Look at the four at large teams that played in Dayton last year. The field isn't any better this season. That's the benchmark to make.

16. CardinalVol

If, if, if.....(and did I say if?)

We do the unthinkable and run the table and go 19-12, I have no doubt we're in.

5-1 and we'll need a win in New Orleans.

Anything less than 5 wins and it'll pretty much take getting to Sunday to have a shot.