When monkeys are paid unequally

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 29, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

[youtube]meiU6TxysCg[/youtube]

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Saw this demonstrated when I went to see the Dalai Lama when he visited Emory University in Atlanta. Bonobos show a lot of the Compassion pillar at the start of the talk.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The one monkey should have clearly slammed the other monkey's head into a sink and then danced in celebration when the other monkey died.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

The connections some folks concoct are bizarre to me. What does this have to do with that?

5. kidbourbon

Because I was still thinking about "that", and I expressly noted that I think the participants in "that" are bordering on subhuman. That whole thing really bothered me quite a bit. I posted quite a bit on it, as you may have noticed.

Anyway, are you asking: "kb, why did you think of DE girls fighting in a bathroom when you saw a monkey that was upset that it couldn't get what it wanted?"
    If so, my response is: I have no idea. I just did.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fair enough. I'd like to defend the monkeys here, and point out the one not paid in grapes never directed violence at it's peer. These monkeys deserve the benefit of the doubt. Grapes are quite tasty.

7. kidbourbon

Yes they are. Well, at least until they start giving the monkey next door blueberries. Blueberries = yum yum yum.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Do they continue to exhibit such behavior when they haven't eaten in 3 days?

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Monkeys aren't stupid enough to compare their plenty with their neighbor's plenty.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's Butch-level film study right there.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Missed the point. Did I coachspeak?

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I thought it was quite clever.

13. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

You guys should get the "like" feature on this board. This made me wax philosophically and then laugh my ass off.

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

There is a like feature, but not on mobile.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Liked your post, because I like irony. (The like system exists, but the button doesn't show up on mobile).

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I moronic'd your post because I already said this.

But not really.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

How do the monkeys feel when they get paid unequally for unequal work? My dogs go apeshit when one of them gets a treat, even if the other one didn't do anything.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

A fair question that should be investigated. I bet you're right that the monkey given less would still be pissed.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

What happens if you start out with both grapes and then go to cucumber with one would be interesting also.

I don't think this proves anything about income inequality either.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It demonstrates monkeys have some sense of fairness (assuming this has been an adequately replicated experiment, which is indeed a MAJOR assumption). If that is so, then one can proceed with all sorts of behavior experiments like you and lumberjack have mentioned.

Does i conclusively prove anything about income inequality, assuming this has been replicated and stands up to scrutiny? It pisses monkeys off, which is something.