Santorum

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 14, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't get this spontaneous and current love fest with him.

Is this just the conservatives last attempt to get someone the nomination? I really don't see any other reason than that.

Anybody got any ideas?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I thought he was supposed to be pretty middle of the road and was only recently exuding some semblance of being more conservative. I really don't know that much about him though.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Big government guy that likes to push social agendas. I'm so glad we might get him to run against Obama.

4. CardinalVol

These are EXACTLY the reasons I don't get this.

Are people THAT opposed to Romney?

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's pretty sad when a mormon looks liberal in comparison on social issues.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

He doesn't believe in global warming. He's violently pro-life. He uses his dead child as a political tool to gain votes from people stupid enough to be impressed by it. He seems radically conservative to me, and he also seems very stupid.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

No way I'll vote for him. No way. He is the kind of follow-up to Obama that could set conservatives up for a lost decade.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Everything Santorum believes is what W. believes. Everything. And W was a great grassroots politician.

This whole primary cycle has been about conservatives trying to reclaim their party. We saw this with Bachman's insurgence, Perry's, Gingrich's and now Santorum's. Romney has steadily had 35-percent of the Republican electorate. But you know what that means? 65-percent don't like him and are finding anything and everything to be a distraction. This board is a perfect example... a number on here have professed Gingrich and Paul support at one time. No one is stumping hard for Romney. Why are we surprised when we look to the general public and see the same?

9. CardinalVol

Don't get me wrong, I am a social conservative at heart. But at the same time, I've learned to be very weary of candidates who make that their sole platform to gain traction regardless of the current situation.

I don't know. The guy just seems fake to me. Love him or hate him, W seemed genuine in his beliefs. Santorum doesn't.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

1.) W. believed in global warming. Santorum doesn't.
    2.) W. favored basically an amnesty immigration policy. Santorum doesn't.
    3.) W. favored civil unions. Santorum doesn't.
    4.) W. bailed out the auto industry. Santorum is on record saying he would not.

Santorum is significantly more conservative than even Bush.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Very good point, Cardinal. Candidates who run only on a social platform on attempting to appeal to morons who base their vote on whether the candidate is pro-life or pro-choice. It's effective in Republican Primaries because, unfortunately, there is a plethora of morons in the Republican Party.

12. CardinalVol

I, however, would love to see how much money he got the PA steel industry. I distinctly remember a large federal prop up of the steel industry in spring 2002 and my international econ professor ranting and raving about it for 30 minutes one class.

13. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Rick Santorum's solution to the Social Security problem:

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Well, that might be the dumbest [uck fay]ing thing I've ever read. Think about how stupid you would have to be to vote for this clown.

15. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

A few more gems:

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

From the NYT:

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I agree with that second one. College isn't some magic program that makes anyone a big earner.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Bush believed all the things Santorum believed around election season. He never used the word global warming and changed the discourse to talk about "climate change". Bush said that global warming wasn't sound science and said there was still intellectual debate over it. Bush used the gay marriage issue to take divide and take Ohio in 2004. I wouldn't champion him as some great civil rights activists regardless of his tepid support for "letting states decide".

Santorum and Bush are playing a similar game. That's why he is getting support in the South and Midwest. They are big government social conservatives.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Bush believed all the things Santorum believed around election season. He never used the word global warming and changed the discourse to talk about "climate change". Bush said that global warming wasn't sound science and said there was still intellectual debate over it. Bush used the gay marriage issue to take divide and take Ohio in 2004. I wouldn't champion him as some great civil rights activists regardless of his tepid support for "letting states decide".

Santorum and Bush are playing a similar game. That's why he is getting support in the South and Midwest. They are big government social conservatives.

20. CardinalVol

From a pure politics point of view, he could not have played that issue any better in 2004 nationwide. Kerry had absolutely no way to combat the number of people that came out to vote because of that one issue.