Obama vs. GOP-X

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, Feb 15, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not too many months ago polling was showing Obama trailing when people were asked to pick between he and any generic Republican. Now, the latest polls I've seen have Santorum as his closest challenger, but he still trails by 5%.

Has something changed to boost Obama or do the Repub candidates suck so bad that they are actually less appealing than an unnamed politician?

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Could be wrong Kpt, but I really don't think that there's a Republican out there that has a message that resonates with a majority of the voters. Hell, no candidate does for that matter. Folks are hurting, and little is being said other than standard talking points about how taxing wealthier Americans is right or wrong or paying 'death' taxes that 90% of the population will never have to even consider. It's the same arguments that's been going on for 25 + years and I think folks are getting fed up- finally. We are at a tipping point. Prices are going up on everything while paychecks aren't. People are searching for someone they feel actually gives a shit about them rather than the next donation and election cycle. There aren't any of these folks out there that I can see. All that's there are special interests on all sides pulling the strings of gov't to suit their wants while the nation suffers as a whole. Until we all can put aside the 'us vs them' attitude, we will continue to flail away in vain.

Sorry for the rambling, but I feel a bit better.

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

a repub candidate could get some voters jump on their bandwagon if they talk about drilling for oil here. considering on the news this morning they were saying gas prices could go up to $5 a gallon this summer, people are going to be pissed. however now that bush isn't president whose fault is it now?

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's the big issue to me Snake. The blame game is old and unfruitful. I think people as a whole are tired of it. The candidate that can articulate practical solutions will gain traction.

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It will balance out a bit when there is actually a nominee, if that nominee is Romney at least. Santorum will get everybody pumped up for th primaries, but if he manages to win he nom he will be taken to the woodshed in the generals. Considering that Obama is not terribly popular, that should tell you how bad Santorum is as a candidate.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Uneducated people who believe drilling here will magically lower global demand already vote Republican.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

who says it will lower global demand? it certainly will lower the global price of oil. see the natural gas price.

8. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i never said anything about global demand, however drilling here would help us

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

By a few cents. Not worth the associated costs that get passed off on the public.

There is no magic cure for the price increase coming from growth in China and India. None. This is reality. We always knew fossil fuels wouldn't last forever. Demand has caught up to supply. We can drill our brains out for a couple of years' relief, but it won't change anything. Talk about a political football.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Why only a few cents? the natural gas price has dropped to what, an eighth, of what it was 3 years ago? Now i'm not arguing that the US has a natural gas level of oil reserves, but I'd say it has proven that an increase in US supply can have a dramatic difference in price. Hell remember what happened during the market crash. The oil price dropped considerably with only a modest drop in demand. why wouldn't a modest increase in supply have a significant effect?

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I would say if a sitting President came out and offered a feasible plan to drill in Alaska and/or the Gulf, emotions alone would cause the price of crude to drop drastically.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're having a domestic oil boom right now in the Dakotas, on top of Canada's increased output from Canada. Gas prices have still stayed high and trending up.

Is this kind of like Obama's "It'd be even worse without the stimulus" take on the economy?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's true, but it'd only be temporary.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Unfortunetely it is. I realize that strikes one as BS, but we have seem massive commodity inflation worldwide and the oil price is still below 08 highs. We've seen slight decreases in supply raise the oil price considerably. slight movements can and do have major impacts. as to where that tipping point is for increased US output I have no idea, but i'd be willing to bet if we got back to even early 90s levels in production the oil price would be materially lower..

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If Santorum becomes the nominee, Obama will beat the absolute shit out of him in the general election. Could be one of the worst beat downs in history.

16. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

possibly, but would it be bigger than R.R.'s win against Mondale in '84? It's no secret that I lean to the right, with that being said the candidates that the conservatives have to pick from is sad.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think it will be bigger than that. But, the GOP will lose 99.99999999% of all independent voters if Santorum's the guy. I'll vote for Obama in a heartbeat before I vote for that moron.

18. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

wow, that's disappointing to hear