Clay Travis interviews [ddiapos]

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by g8terh8ter_eric, Jun 17, 2016.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Some on here hate Butch with everything they have, but he'll never reach the level of Doo Doo.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't hate Butch. He tries hard, he's just not an elite coach.

Dooley never put forth the effort needed to win here and that's why I hope the Jerry tron falls on his head during a Dallas game

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Totally agree. Him putting forth the effort single handedly is what sets the two apart. Both aren't great coaches but at least Butch isn't a quitter and I really do think he genuinely cares about Tennessee.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

How long is this thing?

6. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

When I die and go to hell, I will be stuck in an elevator with Clay Travis and [ddiapos].

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I'd much rather be stuck with Clay than DDIAPOS.

8. midtownvol83

midtownvol83 Active Member

He said he believes he left Tennessee's roster in a great place and it is supported by "data".

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I hope he gets hit by a bus.

10. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

For whatever reason, I decided to watch that yesterday. He owned up to being an asshole and admitted the Kentucky loss was all on him but within the same interview, he pulled the "if you ain't a coach than you aren't qualified to judge me" card. It reminded me of athletes that pull the "you aren't qualified to comment if you haven't played" card with media which is ridiculous. Actually, I think Dooley would do well as a TV guy in a pre-game or halftime show type role. I've probably been too hard on him when the real blame should fall mostly on Mike Hamilton and others responsible for his hire as you can't really blame a shitty coach from leaving Louisiana Tech to accept the Tennessee job. Those years still piss me off but it's probably past time to move on.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No you can't blame him for taking the job, but you can blame him for being an ass to everyone while representing UT and generally just not working hard.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why do I even open this thread?

#DDIAPOS

13. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

No, his words were equivalent to: He left the roster better than when he found it. No less, I'm not sure that's objectively true, and if it is, it wasn't by much.

I think he was pretty fair, overall. There wasn't too much I disagreed with. He said in various ways that he shit the bed, but he still had excuses for them. Specifically, recruiting-wise, he blamed the 3rd class's recruiting on NCAA being on campus during the spring, and him shitting the bed against UK. Blamed himself for being too soft on the players during his 2nd season, and the results of that culminated in the UK debauchery. During his 3rd season, when hiring coaches, said he had a ton of coaching candidates essentially say: "I'd love to come, but.." in reference to the writing on the wall and his imminent firing. Said Sunseri's lack of coordinator experience was big factor in defensive woes, and was sure to remind that the offensive was loaded with NFL talent. That was his main defense in response to the accusation that he didn't recruit.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  14. midtownvol83

midtownvol83 Active Member

He circled around the topic several times and probably said that he left it better than were he found it at some point (he did talk about the massive amounts of attrition from Fulmer to him but he was to blame for a lot it as well) - but he also definitely made a point to say he left the roster in great shape and that was supported by his "data". His data which included NFL players - many of which he had nothing to do with.

He also tried to claim he recruited the state of TN really well and said all of the stuff about HS coaches around the state hating him and him not going to their games or practices to make a connection was made up internet BS.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Analytics

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Of course, almost all the NFL talent was from the class that Kiffin set up for him before he left. He recruited those guys for all of two weeks.

His biggest recruiting wins were Juco guys with limited time to contribute.

17. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Most of Dooley's high rated high school players were off the team after a year

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

So even botch knows Dooley was awful?