How much is it possible to improve as a coach?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Feb 19, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Open question. Thoughts?

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I would like to think that the years that I spent coaching, I was better when I retired than when I started. From my experience, the more time went by I learned better ways to deal with kids, coach different techniques, etc...

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Some things in coaching can be learned and some can't. There are rare gifts inherent in good coaches: the ability to inspire or motivate- the ability to effectively communicate with your players- getting the team to buy in the philosophy and many many others. These are there or they aren't.

Xs and Os can be learned and improved upon through experience. I remember the stupid shit I did my first year. I was a total dumbass long on desire but painfully lacking in knowledge. If I could go back in time, I would kick that young coach's ass.

I know where this is headed, so I'll go ahead and say that unfortunately, I'm afraid that Dooley lacks the intangibles, that natural leadership of men, that is innate and can't be taught. I'm sure he knows the other part. He just doesn't cut it as an inspirational figure to me.

4. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

I agree with the posts so far. Being a leader that kids rally around cannot be learned. They see through crap pretty quickly. You can be a "funny" guy like they say about Dooley, but there ain't nothing funny about getting your head beat in because your coach is unprepared, throws you under the bus, plays the wrong guys, etc. This is "the" season of Dooley's career. If it don't work out right this time it never will IMO.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're right. This is Dooley's career this year. Not his career at Tennessee. His career.

6. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

I'm not sure about that. Never underestimate the stupidity of the average AD.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I suppose he could end up at some CFS school or something, but he won't ever be mistaken for a BCS conference coach if he fails so miserably here.

Keep in mind, Kiffin waltzed in and made his name as a college football coach immortal despite the adversity or even the final record. Dooley waltzed in and two years later folks outside of the Southeast still don't know who he is.

Tennessee is a big stage if used properly.

8. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

He is similar to Shula, now that I think about it. I was also thinking of Terry Bowden, who's still bouncing around, but he actually had a decent record at several of his stops.

Absolutely.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Mike Shula, who has been an NFL QB coach since leaving Alabama, and Terry Bowden, who was out of the business for ten years before coaching North Alabama and now Akron.

Both of those sound about right for what Dooley has in front of him if he can't get things turned around this year.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I have done both. Play and coach.

Both require talent(s) some the same, some very different.

To answer the question. Yes. Even those with high talent levels have to apply that to experience and failure sometimes to get better. In that regard it is very similar to playing. You take talent with bad work ethics and your average just based off talent. You take average talent, with a great work ethic and you have a hard working player with a lower ceiling based off talent. You take a guy loaded with talent (coach or player) combine that with a great work ethic and you have a great coach/player.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Talk to me, 53. Why was my statement about Kiffin BS?

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like it would be a lot easier to grow as a coach were you not the head guy. I don't really have a boss anymore. I learn on my own with CE stuff but now that I don't really have a mentor most of my learning comes from mistakes or at the minimum analyzing my work to see how I could be better or more efficient.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Kiffin had a system and believed in it. He also acted like Tennessee could win and win big. The fans loved it, and media turned him into the villain.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

How did I contradict that? I was saying Kiffin had no problem making a splash.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm at a lost. I don't remember saying that you did contradict that