Sling TV

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by ptclaus98, Jul 18, 2016.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

If you are a sports fan who uses TV for sports 90 percent of the time, you are wasting your money on cable. Sling has FS1, ESPN, and now NBCSN for their $40 blue orange combo package. That's half of a basic cable bill. I take thanks in the form of smoked pork or chicken at gameday tailgates.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no pac-12 network baby! I've complained and gotten my dish bill down to $55. I like having a dvr too. mostly it's pure laziness. outside of college football and the nfl I absolutely do not need cable.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Plus there are about 20 sports channels now that I get via cable. They cost a bit. Comcast blows gorillas, but all the providers do. Much like cellular or presidential choices, they all suck so just pick your poison and deal.

I seriously spend ridiculous monthly money on cell phones and tv/cable. It's absurd. My parents spent about 20 on a phone and 8 on cable.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

when you follow a shitty team like I do, I honestly think with sling i'd get max 6 games a year. I like having all the options to watch all the games too. it's worth a little extra money a month to me. I certainly waste more money on other pointless shit. everytime I go out to dinner I spend more than the money i'd save on switching to streaming. the local cable option is time warner here. it's horrifically bad. my wife's parents have it and the picture quality is just terrible. the other ridiculous thing was I thought about switching to bundle and I called them up and they offered me like $70 more a month for cable. it wasn't even cheaper than having it separate. if google fiber or verizon fios ever get here i'm switching in 5 minutes.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I get all that on PlayStation Vue for $34.99

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I genuinely have no idea what I pay for cable and internet, as long as it works. If I could get VIOS, I'd probably switch, but Verizon is a notoriously bad provider too. Comcast sucks by almost every measure around customer service, but they continue to provide expanding sports coverage and they marry to almost all games so that I can watch at my leisure.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

consumer reports rated Verizon fios #1 last time around for cable. I don't know anyone who has it, but it's supposed to be good.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I know some guys that do and it's cable. I only care that the internet speed is fast. The TV is TV, as long as the right stuff is available in HD.

FIOS isn't available where I live, but I'm pretty rural suburban Philly.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the picture quality is supposed to be similar to satellite.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I've never noticed any issues with mine and I just use Comcast cable. The picture is fantastic, but my eyes probably aren't as sharp as they've always been.

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

We have Fios and have been generally happy with it. Verizon recently sold it off to Frontier down here and there have been some issues with transition/customer service, but we've been spared so far.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i feel like customer service for all those companies except direct tv is horrid.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wow! actually has really good customer service, which is important, because the service goes out about every 20 minutes.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Direct has gotten bad since joining AT&T.

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Never had to deal with a cable company before grad school but I've got TWC now and my god do they suck.

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I don't have a Smart TV, so does that rule out Sling for me? I just figured that I'd look into it next time I upgraded the TV

Also, I have to say that the DVR is an absolute must--even more so now that I have a wife and kid at home. But I would guess that Sling has to either have that capability or have it on the way.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that sucks, i switched to dish a couple of years ago

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

have them for internet and I honestly think the customer service people are legit retarded people. they appear to be americans which is nice for a change, just really really really dumb.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Just buy a box to make it smart TV. I use ROKU but there are tons of them now: Apple, Amazon TV, Google and plenty of others. Roku is the best one with the most available, but they all work.

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

What's terrible about my service is that my house is university owned and all utilities, cable, etc is included in rent. Thus, no account in my name. Problem is you're on your own when there's a problem and the process to fix it is twice as bad as it would be for a normal customer.