2016 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I thought we could use a general thread on the final months of the presidential election instead of parceling out the discussion to specific threads like the Trump one, police shootings, etc. If no, let this one die, but a centralized discussion is the objective here.

In that regard, it looks as if Clinton will choose Tim Caine as her VP. As noted, my thought on the VP choice is that they either, best case, won't help you (much) or will hurt you. Caine falls in the former, in my opinion, a safe pick from a swing state who speaks Spanish would be a good asset, though nothing to swing an election by any great means.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I wish the news would stop representing this as a two horse race. This is one year where a good third party ticket like Johnson could make some hay, but isn't getting the hours upon hours of free advertising the Rs and D's are getting.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Is Trump doesnt swing some white women hes toast.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This should be an entertaining election, at least

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He's at 13 percent. There's a chance he could make the debates

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Clinton will win easily. End of thread.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Today's entertainment:

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/23/12261020/dnc-email-leaks-explained

8. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

re: dnc emails- Nobody cares. It was obvious in the winter in spring.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I've not got to look at them yet but what's your thoughts on it and how does it change your support of the party

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

My support has never been for the party. It's for ideas, issues, and individuals. The party has been as rotten as Washington itself my entire life, just like the other one. In a two party system, that will never change.

In the end, I'm faced with either voting for the ideas, issues, and individuals I trust, or voting against Trump. It's an unoriginal dilemma. I don't think I can stomach voting for Clinton, but I will really regret not doing what I can to prevent Trump.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Sanders never had a chance.

Bernie Sanders Campaign Chief Says Someone Must Be 'Accountable' for What DNC Emails Show

Bernie Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver said his team was "disappointed" by the emails from the Democratic National Committee leaked through WikiLeaks, which seemed to reveal staff in the party working to support Hillary Clinton.

"Someone does have to be held accountable," Weaver said during an interview with ABC News. "We spent 48 hours of public attention worrying about who in the [Donald] Trump campaign was going to be held responsible for the fact that some lines of Mrs. Obama's speech were taken by Mrs. Trump. Someone in the DNC needs to be held at least as accountable as the Trump campaign."

Weaver said the emails showed misconduct at the highest level of the staff within the party and that he believed there would be more emails leaked, which would "reinforce" that the party had "its fingers on the scale."

"Everybody is disappointed that much of what we felt was happening at the DNC was in fact happening, that you had in this case a clear example of the DNC taking sides and looking to place negative information into the political process......

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bern...accountable-dnc-emails-show/story?id=40825318

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think Wasserman Schultz's head has to roll, or should. I don't know if it will, but these leaks to pose a fair amount of concern for Hillary. I argued with Tenny about his overly optimistic predictions regarding the nature of the election and it turning towards Trump as the months move along. I contended that it won't swing as far in Trump's favor as he maintained without some kind of factor to move the needle. I think this might be close enough to qualify as something to move this a few points away from Hillary. I don't think it will move them to the Trump camp, as the Orange One clumsily courts those disaffected Bernie people, but having them stay home would have the same effect.

Bernie himself will, likely, throw his support behind Clinton next week and mitigate some of the problem for Hillary, but I wonder how many will still be disenchanted enough to say screw it and not bother. Looking at some of the social media, I am surprised at how many Bernie supporters think that the nomination process isn't over and Sanders retains some possibility of taking the nomination next week. I imagine that quixotic dream dying will be a tough blow for them.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think 15% is an unreasonably high threshold. If a candidate's able to putt over 5% nationally, they deserve to be heard from.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Many Sanders supporters are very young and don't get that it's been over since New York, California at best.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

And a lot don't get that it never was a race since they were never going to let him win

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If I were Sanders I would go full Cruz on Monday.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

From the election and campaign stand point he has a lot more to be pissed about than Cruz ever did. Cruz vs Trump went personal and had little to do with policy.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't get why he's sold out so easy to this point.

20. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

A good friend who bartends at one of my haunts is eating up the 'There's still a chance' Bernie hope. I both admire and pity his hopefulness.